Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Toluca Prison, previously known as Toluca Prison Camp and Silent Hill Prison, is a defunct prison in Silent Hill, Maine that was used to house American Civil War POWs. Toluca Prison Camp was later converted into Toluca Prison, a normal prison, in 1866, around the time of Past Life (immediately after the end of the war). It was then closed in the early 1900s for unknown reasons, but possibly due to water damage and constant flooding as it was built next to Toluca Lake.
The exact location is not stated in the games; in Silent Hill 2, it appears to be located underground beneath the Silent Hill Historical Society building. The Book of Lost Memories claims the Historical Society was built on the prison's former site. James Sunderland enters the prison through tunnels extending to the museum. James exits the prison and enters the labyrinth by descending further underground, and although connection of these locations may have been caused by James's delusions, it is possible that the Prison is based near the area where James exits the labyrinth. It is also possible that it's not located underground, and its appearance is simply a distortion by the power of Silent Hill.
Silent Hill 2
Though James meets Eddie Dombrowski upon his entrance in the prison cafeteria, he is left alone for the remainder of the area and must find a way to exit back to the surface.
The ultimate goal of the prison is to form a handle using a horseshoe, wax doll and lighter. The horseshoe can't be found immediately, so James should find the wax doll and lighter first. James must also find three tablets located in various areas:
- Tablet of "Gluttonous Pig" - Located in the cafeteria
- Tablet of "The Oppressor" - Located in a cell
- Tablet of "The Seductress" - Located in a shower area
After finding the three tablets, they must be inserted into a gallows platform in a large open area, found in the right-most area. A scream will be heard and upon leaving the area, James will find the horseshoe.
Silent Hill: The Arcade
Eric, Tina and Emilie Anderson visit the Historical Society in hopes of going to the lake. However, a siren blares and they find themselves trapped in Toluca Prison. They are ambushed by various monsters, including the Greedy Worm. In the gallows, the area transforms into the Otherworld lake and they fight the Split Worm. They make their way to the Labyrinth.
The prison consists of three main sections, separated by two long corridors.
The leftmost section was used as the civilian side of the prison, and includes the visiting rooms, offices and main entrance.
The central section of the prison consists mainly cells and the showers and other inmate essentials. The cells are arranged in four rows, two on the north end and two on the south. Each row has ten cells, though only some of the cells can be entered. It seems that the prison has a max capacity of 40 prisoners.
The rightmost section is the prison courtyard. Under the effects of the Otherworld, the courtyard is devoid of scenery, save for the gallows in the center that is used to solve a puzzle.
The prison is in a state of dilapidation upon James's entrance, and most of the prison grounds have been damaged. The prison appears to be underground and much of its structure appears to have eroded and retained water damage. There are no signs of life, except for monsters, during James's stay, although notes and memos of its past inhabitants have remained.
- Before entering the prison, a note can be found in the prison with "September 11, 1820" on it. Silent Hill 2 was released in September of 2001, the same month of the September 11 attacks. This is probably an eerie coincidence.
- In the cafeteria, there is a painting of the cafeteria room in its exact state which includes the decaying walls, the dead body of a man lying against the table, and the same painting located at the back of the room.
- It is possible that the prison was used as a sort of execution site. The gallows in the prison would have been used to hang the prisoners and their bodies would then be thrown into the small hole that James eventually jumps through. The room that James jumps into also has a staircase, allowing the executioners at the prison to take the bodies and put them into the nearby morgue. The bodies in the morgue would then be thrown into another hole, as James thinks, "This corpse... into this hole?".
- The gallows has three nooses, possibly meant for James, Angela Orosco, and Eddie. The three tablets used for the puzzle are symbolic of each character.
- It can be assumed from exploring the prison courtyard that depending on the severity of their offense, the prisoners could either be hanged or drawn and quartered, hence the sounds of running horses in the background.
- The mysterious Prisoners make their appearances here.
- Three mysterious paintings called Burning Man, 436 People at a Recital, and Woman in Flight can be found.
- In the women's bathroom, if James knocks on the third stall and walks away, something may occur.
- In the cell where the wax doll can be found, a symbol very similar to the Halo of the Sun can be seen on the wall near it.
- A framed picture of the prison can be found in the Baldwin Mansion during the Born from a Wish scenario.
|Eric - Tina - Bill - Jessie - Ryan - George - Emilie Anderson - Frank Anderson - Michelle Anderson|
Hanna - Lorraine - Captain - Scott Fairbanks - Greys
|Creeper - Double Head - Greedy Worm - Gum Head - Hummer - Insane Cancer - Mama - Numb Body - Nurse - Phantom - Pyramid Head - Robbie the Rabbit - Scraper - Split Worm - Toadstool - Tremer - Tuberculosis|
|Brookhaven Hospital - Central Square Shopping Center - Jacks Inn - Labyrinth - Lakeside Amusement Park - Silent Hill Historical Society - Spiral Staircase - Toluca Lake - Toluca Prison|
|Flashlight - Fog World - Little Baroness - Monster - Otherworld - Radio - Real World - Siren - Welcome Sign|