Toluca Lake is a large lake surrounded by forest in the Silent Hill series.
Though its precise size is unknown, Toluca Lake must be large enough to accommodate the construction of two mid-sized towns upon its shores, with those towns being a boat-ride apart from each other. Numerous hills encompass it, suggesting it may rest in a valley. In addition to hills, rivers and swaths of pine forest are also shown to be plentiful.
Once part of an area claimed as "holy land" by indigenous native tribes, the area containing the lake entered into the hands of European settlers in the late 1600s when the original inhabitants were forced out of the area.
Toluca Lake began to become a famous touristic destination even before the coal mines closed. Many tourist offices opened across the town of Silent Hill, as well as boat launchers, hotels and motels, giving the tourists many options to choose where to relax during their trips in the region.
The Lakeview Hotel, for example, was one of the most notables ones, and is built right on the shore of the lake, offering the tourists immediate access to the lake for swimming at warm periods.
Even with the lake being an attractive destination for many tourists, some infamous but mysterious maritime accidents occurred in the lake at past times. It's a possibility that the area has seen a steep decline in terms of tourist economy.
Landmarks and destinations
A list of locations beside or on the lake.
- Lighthouse - A lighthouse built on the northern shores of Toluca Lake, found in the Resort Area. It's said to be one of Silent Hill's older structures.
- Lakeside Amusement Park - A theme park overlooking the lake. It contains several entertainment attractions typical of venues of its type, such as a merry-go-round, a roller coaster, a haunted house and a divination tent.
- Lakeview Hotel - A once-prominent feature of Silent Hill's Resort Area, the hotel has since been consumed by fire.
- Toluca Graveyard - A small graveyard and church, overlooking the lake.
- Rosewater Park - A park built along the lake.
- Toluca Prison - A defunct prison.
- Water Prison - A panopticon.
- Devil's Pitstop - A diner near the shores of Toluca Lake.
- Wish House Orphanage - An orphanage near the shores of Toluca Lake.
- Log cabin retreats, where tourists can stay overnight during their time in Silent Hill.
- Cybil Bennett says there is a lookout tower on the opposite side of the lake in the Silent Hill film.
With the influx of visitors to the area over time, accidents, in particular boating accidents, were an inevitability.
- At some point in time, 67 people died of illness and "sleep beneath the lake".
- In November 1918, a ship named Little Baroness goes missing. Its fate is unknown.
- With the closing of the area coal mines in 1939, coupled with an increase in tourism, a rather prolific rash of boating accidents occurs on the lake.
- In 1993, a freak thunderstorm occurred and caused a schoolbus to be stuck in Toluca River.
- In Silent Hill 2 (exact date unknown), James Sunderland may have been driven to suicide in the lake with his wife's corpse with him, in the In Water ending. The canon ending of Silent Hill 2 is ambiguous.
- In 2003, during an argument with his brother Alex Shepherd, Joshua Shepherd accidentally drowns. His death marks the beginning of the dark times that have befallen the town of Shepherd's Glen.
- In 2004, Ariadne Johnson drowns in the southeast corner of the lake.
- During his transfer to Wayside Maximum Security Prison, Murphy Pendleton and Anne Marie Cunningham, among others, crashed their transport bus on the shores of Toluca Lake.
- For the backdrop of Toluca Lake in Silent Hill 2, it appears to be an edited photo of the real-life Derwentwater Lake in England.
- In Silent Hill: The Arcade, the lake is shown to have an Otherworld version of itself, with bloodied waters and many monsters hidden within the deep.
- Although portrayed as a fictional place in the games, a real-life Toluca Lake does exist. It also may be possible that Toluca Lake (or at least its name) is based on Toluca, Mexico.
- It is known that in the comics, Silent Hill is built on the shores of Toluca Lake. Any history regarding this incarnation of the lake is unknown.
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Silent Hill: Downpour
Silent Hill: The Arcade
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Silent Hill film
|Eric - Tina - Bill - Jessie - Ryan - George - Emilie Anderson - Frank Anderson - Michelle Anderson|
Hanna - Lorraine - Captain - Scott Fairbanks - Greys
|Creeper - Double Head - Greedy Worm - Gum Head - Hummer - Insane Cancer - Mama - Numb Body - Nurse - Phantom - Pyramid Head - Robbie the Rabbit - Scraper - Split Worm - Toadstool - Tremer - Tuberculosis|
|Brookhaven Hospital - Central Square Shopping Center - Jacks Inn - Labyrinth - Lakeside Amusement Park - Silent Hill Historical Society - Spiral Staircase - Toluca Lake - Toluca Prison|
|Flashlight - Fog World - Little Baroness - Monster - Otherworld - Radio - Real World - Siren - Welcome Sign|
|Rose Da Silva - Christopher Da Silva - Cybil Bennett - Dahlia Gillespie - Thomas Gucci - Anna - Christabella - Sharon Da Silva - Alessa Gillespie - Dark Alessa|
|Sister Margaret - Eleanor - Colin - Lisa Garland - Jennifer Carroll|
|Pyramid Head - Creeper - Armless Man - Colin - Nurse - Grey Child|
|Brahms - Brookhaven Hospital - Church - Da Silva House - Gans County - Grand Hotel - Midwich Elementary School - Nathan Drugs - Pete's Bowl-O-Rama - Sacrificial Chamber - Silent Hill, West Virginia - Smitty's - Toluca County Archives - Toluca County Mining Museum - Toluca County Orphanage - Toluca Lake|
|The Brethren - Monster - Flashlight - Manifestation - Otherworld - Fog World - Real World - Siren - Great Knife - Welcome Sign - Brethren Symbol|
|Heather Mason - Christopher Da Silva - Vincent Cooper - Claudia Wolf - Leonard Wolf - Dark Alessa - Douglas Cartland - Alessa Gillespie|
|Rose Da Silva - Dahlia Gillespie - Suki - Travis Grady - Order Soldier - Detective Santini - Mannequin Girl|
|Armless Man - Delusion - Leonard Wolf - Lobotomy - Mannequin Monster - Memory of Alessa - Missionary - Nurse - Pyramid Head - Valtiel|
|All Hallows High School - Brookhaven Asylum - Central Square Shopping Center - Jacks Inn - Sanctuary - Silent Hill, West Virginia - Lakeside Amusement Park|
|The Brethren - Halo of the Sun - Monster - Manifestation - Otherworld - Fog World - Real World - Robbie the Rabbit - Seal of Metatron - Siren - The Order - Great Knife - Welcome Sign|
|Whately - Rosy - Aickmann - Douglas Brenneman - Mario - Bryce Canavan - Perkins - Mary Shepherd-Sunderland - James Sunderland|
|Insane Cancer - Nurse - Samael - Scraper|
|Brookhaven Hospital - Silent Hill - Silent Hill Gazette - Toluca Lake|
|Brand of Samael - Fog World - Monster - Otherworld - Real World - Manifestation - The Book of Samael|
|Scott Ciencin - IDW Publishing - Konami|