Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is a timeline for the Silent Hill series based on as much official information as possible. Please ensure that all dates are official, referenced and appear chronologically. Please also note that while this timeline is primarily factual, some dates may be speculated or inferred.
The dates for Silent Hill: Origins, Silent Hill, Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 are technically unknown. Some dates for these games can be obtained in a promotional diary supposedly written by Alex Shepherd, but it is unknown how canon they are and they are initially crossed out. The dates in the diary place Origins in 1976, Silent Hill in 1983, Silent Hill 2 in 1993 and Silent Hill 3 in 2000. Again, these shouldn't be taken as absolute canon fact. It is known, however, that Silent Hill 1 is set 7 years after Origins, Silent Hill 3 is set 17 years after Silent Hill 1, and Silent Hill 2 is set sometime between Silent Hill 1 and Silent Hill 3. Given this, it appears likely that Origins is set in the 1970s, Silent Hill 1 in the 1980s, Silent Hill 2 in the 1990s, and Silent Hill 3 in the early 2000s.
The ages of SH1/SH2/SH3 characters are provided in the Book of Lost Memories. The ages for Silent Hill: Homecoming characters are provided in the manual. Everything else is taken from the games.
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is added here for convenience, but please note that it is non-canon and set in another universe.
Please note that this timeline may ignore dates from textures such as calendars in-game, as there is no proof the developers intended them to be canon, or the textures themselves are too blurry.
For a timeline of film events, please see Timeline (film).
- Native Americans conduct mysterious and religious rituals in this land. The land is valued as a sacred place to the Natives. They revered the area as "The Place of the Silenced Spirits" or in another name, "Nest of the Raven". The land is known as a holy place and seems to possess a mysterious power.
- In the late 1600s, settlers begin to come to Silent Hill, Maine from Europe. The Native Americans are forced to leave the land.
- Jennifer Carroll is burned at the stake by Christians for witchcraft. She was one of the founding members of what would become the Order.
- In the early 1700s, a mysterious epidemic breaks out and the town is abandoned.
- Daniel R. Bryant and a group of thirty four pioneers cross Toluca Lake to arrive in Silent Hill. (Shattered Memories universe)
- In 1743, Daniel R. Bryant dies from influenza and is buried in town. An overlook is named in his memory. (Shattered Memories universe)
- Around this time, the town is resettled as a penal colony. Silent Hill Prison and Brookhaven Hospital are constructed. Brookhaven Hospital was built in response to a great plague that followed a wave of immigration to this area. It was originally little more than a shack, but it gradually grew. It was at this time that the town was given the name "Silent Hill".
- The Gillespie Coal & Iron Company establishes the Devil's Pit Mine.
- Mason Bartlett is born.
- On March 15th, Maine secedes from Massachusetts and becomes a state.
- According to the style, Allen Smith paints Waterfront Landscape around this time, a scene of this area from long ago. There were fewer people then, and only a handful of buildings.
- Isaac Shepherd is born.
- Around this time, Silent Hill Prison closes.
- Daniel Shepherd is born.
- Around this time, a coal field is discovered and Wiltse Coal Mine opens, which leads to the revitalization of the town.
- Shepherd's Glen is founded by Isaac Shepherd, Edith Holloway, Cornelius Fitch and Mason Bartlett. They fled from their brethren and entered into a contract.
- Daniel Shepherd, Ann Holloway, Theodore Fitch and Helen Bartlett are sacrificed by their respective families on September 23rd to appease God.
- Andrew Fitch is born.
- Elizabeth Fitch (née unknown) is born.
- The Gillespie Coal & Iron Company begin extracting ore from the Devil's Pit.
- The American Civil War begins.
- Patrick Chester and his son both participate in the American Civil War.
- Toluca Prison Camp is constructed for POWs.
- Diyu's Tusk Cavern is discovered by Chinese immigrant miners.
- William Shepherd is born.
- The American Civil War ends in a Union victory.
- Catherine Shepherd (née unknown) is born.
- Frederick Holloway is born on November 24th.
- The events of Past Life occur. Inola, a Cherokee woman, used Esther Munroe to rebirth her deceased daughter, Awinita. It is implied Awinita's original incarnation was killed by Jebediah Foster.
- John Holloway is born on June 12th.
- Nancy Holloway (née unknown) is born on June 22nd.
- Lydia Bartlett is born.
- Mason Bartlett dies on March 10th.
- Stephanie Shepherd (née unknown) is born.
- David Shepherd is born.
- Lois Bartlett (née unknown) is born.
- Regina Fitch is born to Andrew and Elizabeth Fitch.
- Isaac Shepherd dies on March 9th.
- Henry Holloway is born on December 12th.
- Andrew Fitch dies on April 15th.
- Robert Holloway is born on August 17th.
- Catherine Shepherd dies on January 1st.
- William Shepherd dies on March 1st.
- Sophie Holloway (née unknown) is born on July 29th.
- Around this time, people start to mysteriously disappear all over town.
- Henry Holloway dies on February 4th.
- Mary Bartlett (née unknown) is born.
- Lydia Bartlett dies on April 5th.
- Lois Bartlett dies on May 6th.
- Elizabeth Fitch dies on June 29th.
- Bartlett Vineyards is established.
- Nancy Holloway dies on December 16th.
- Stephanie Shepherd dies on December 31st.
- In the early 1900s, Toluca Prison closes and Silent Hill becomes a tourist area.
- By this time, the religious group known as the Order has been formed in the town. At first, the citizens oppose them, but they gradually gain more influence as more members join, until they begin to infiltrate Silent Hill's public institutions and gain more influence and strength.
- In this century, 20 years before Silent Hill (est. 1950-1965), the mayor of Silent Hill dies suddenly and, one after the other, the staff at a development group for the town die accidental deaths.
- Frederick Holloway dies on January 16th.
- John Holloway dies on October 29th.
- Thomas Shepherd, Earnest Holloway, Rose Fitch and Charles Bartlett are sacrificed by their respective families to appease God.
- Horace H. Bartlett is born.
- Robert Holloway dies on January 23rd.
- David Shepherd dies on March 1st.
- Caleb Bartlett is born.
- According to local legend, miners discover mysterious symbols carved into the walls of a limestone grotto in the Superstition Caverns, leading to wild speculation about witchcraft and the occult. Soon after, a series of unfortunate accidents and reports of mysterious creatures force the Gillespie Coal & Iron Company to suspend mining operations along this seam.
- Caleb Bartlett dies on August 3rd.
- Mary Bartlett dies on August 4th.
- In November, a tourist ship called the Little Baroness goes missing on Toluca Lake.
- Sophie Holloway dies on September 13th.
- Regina Fitch dies on May 14th.
- Horace H. Bartlett dies on March 10th in a powder mill explosion.
- Strange events at Toluca Lake occur. After Wiltse Coal Mine closes and Silent Hill becomes a sightseeing area, a succession of boating accidents occur. This leaves Silent Hill with a poor reputation for sightseeing.
- Devil's Pit Historical Park is founded.
- Martin Fitch is born.
- Rebecca Shepherd, Lawrence Holloway, Rusty Fitch and Patricia Bartlett are sacrificed by their respective families to appease God.
- James Wheeler is born.
- Sam Bartlett is born.
- Lillian Shepherd is born.
- South Ashfield Heights is built.
- Curtis Ackers is born.
- Walter Sullivan is born in Room 302 and his parents flee South Ashfield Heights. Frank Sunderland discovers baby Walter and sends him to St. Jerome's Hospital. Walter becomes a ward of the state, is adopted by the Wish House Orphanage and becomes involved with the Order.
- Dahlia Gillespie tells 6 year old Walter that his mother is asleep in Ashfield. Walter begins to travel to Ashfield by bus/train and visits South Ashfield Heights regularly. Walter encounters Richard Braintree in the apartment building and is frightened by him.
- 8 year old Walter learns of Cynthia's name, who was about 3, somewhere in Ashfield.
- In Ashfield, Walter injures a kitten in Steve Garland’s pet store.
- Eileen Galvin is born.
- Cheryl Heather Mason is born on July 17th. (Shattered Memories universe)
- 16-year-old Walter receives the Shabby Doll from 5-year-old Eileen Galvin on a trip to Ashfield.
- If the calender is accurate, in November, Amy Baldwin dies after falling out of the Baldwin Mansion attic window after trying to retrieve a birthday card for her father.
- Alex Shepherd is born.
- Elle Holloway is born.
- 13-year-old Cynthia confronts and ridicules 18-year-old Walter in South Ashfield Station.
- A middle aged man dressed in black (perhaps Walter's biological father) leaves William Gregory a broken watch.
- Walter moves to Pleasant River and studies at the university.
- Harry Mason dies in a car crash. (Shattered Memories universe)
- At 24, Walter Sullivan murders 10 people in 10 days and removes each of their hearts. The 10 Hearts are Jimmy Stone, Bobby Randolph, Sein Martin, Steve Garland, Rick Albert, George Rosten, Billy Locane, Miriam Locane, William Gregory and Eric Walsh. This becomes known as the Walter Sullivan Case.
- Police arrest Walter Sullivan, who suicides in prison with a soup spoon by severing his neck's carotid artery. Joseph Schreiber suspected this Walter Sullivan was not the real Walter.
- South Ashfield Heights tenants (including Frank Sunderland and Richard Braintree) notice Walter Sullivan in the apartment building with a heavy tool, white oil, a bowl and a bag with blood.
- Walter Sullivan performs the Ritual of the Holy Assumption by crucifying himself in the back of Room 302, and in doing so, he creates his own Otherworld and becomes Victim 11: "Assumption".
- Martin Fitch saves an 8-year-old Alex Shepherd from dying of hypothermia in a school bus accident.
- Joshua Shepherd is born.
- Joey Bartlett is born.
- 3 years after the Walter Sullivan Case (10 Hearts), police discover Victim 12 "Void" (Peter Walls) and suspect the murderer to be a Sullivan copycat.
- Ariadne Johnson is born on January 6th.
- Frank Sunderland remarks in his diary that Walter Sullivan was born 30 years ago.
- Joseph Schreiber begins researching Walter Sullivan. Throughout the year, he writes in his Red Diary until he disappears.
- The corpse of Toby Archbolt is found.
- Shepherd's Glen celebrates its 150th anniversary on Saturday and Sunday, September 20th and 21st respectively.
- Scarlet Fitch, Nora Holloway and Joey Bartlett are sacrificed by their respective parents to appease God.
- Joshua Shepherd dies in a boating accident and Alex is sent away to a mental hospital.
- Ariadne Johnson drowns.
- Alex escapes from the unspecified mental hospital he was staying at (implied to be Alchemilla, but unknown for sure) and returns to Shepherd's Glen.
- In October, the events of Silent Hill: Homecoming occur.
- The events of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories occur in the Shattered Memories canon.
- A shop in Central Silent Hill in Silent Hill says "Since 1987" on it, implying the game is not set before 1987, but the texture is blurry and if the date was meant to be canon is ambiguous.
- In the first Silent Hill, Harry Mason carries what appears to be a Smith & Wesson Sigma series handgun. The Sigma series debuted in 1994, suggesting that the game takes place no earlier than that year. However, when Silent Hill was released in 1999, Konami had no way of knowing how successful it would be, or that it would spawn an entire franchise; it is possible the first game was originally set in or around 1999, but was later retconned to the 80's to account for Heather Mason's age in Silent Hill 3. (The other alternative would have been to set Silent Hill 3 in what was, at the time of its 2003 release, the far off year of 2016.)
- Alessa's History states that Harry's wife died 11 years before Silent Hill. However, this makes no sense as Cheryl, who is 7 years old in Silent Hill, wouldn't have existed then and Harry's wife is seen adopting Cheryl in the opening. As well, Harry states his wife died 4 years ago in Silent Hill. This was likely a goof.
- A calendar in Silent Hill 2: Born from a Wish implies the game takes place in 1994, though the calendar may not be fully reliable and may not coincide with the actual intended year for the game.
- Although the date for Silent Hill 3 is unknown, a photo of a lake called "Landscape Photograph Exhibition", found near Monica's Dance Studio, seems to have "2000" on it, implying it is set in the early 21st century, but it's so blurry that it's difficult to know for sure.
- There have been some multiple contradictory dates for Silent Hill: Downpour (Anne's Story is set during Downpour). Bobby Ricks's calendar lists no month or years, but states the first begins on a Saturday.  A calendar in a garage near the beginning of the game shows August in which the 1st begins on a Tuesday, which could mean 2006 or 2017. The missing poster of Ariadne Johnson says she is 8 years old and was born in 1996, meaning the game cannot occur before 2004. However, this does not necessarily mean Downpour is set in 2004 as it's possible that the poster either means she was 8 when she was abducted, or that the missing poster is outdated.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 The Book of Lost Memories - Timeline
- ↑ The town celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2003.
- ↑ The Book of Lost Memories - Alessa's History
- ↑ Medical Report
- ↑ Another Crimson Tome reveals Cynthia is 29 years old during Silent Hill 4.
- ↑ Maria states the calendar in Amy's room is "10 years old", placing her death in 1984.
- ↑ Her missing poster, which Elle posts in 2007, states she is 15 years old.
- ↑ The Little Baroness went missing in 1918, and The Arcade takes place "75 years later." In addition, the spiral staircase area is labeled "19181993", making the year clearer.
- ↑ Newspaper Article
- ↑ Eileen tells Henry that Joseph disappeared 6 months before he moved in. In the introduction of the game, it's said that Henry has been living in Room 302 for at least 2 years. 2001 - 2 = 1999.
- ↑ There are two things that support this. Apparently, the timeline that came with the Silent Hill 4 guide says that SH4 is set 18 years after SH1. The second is the placement of days of Walter's Diary.
- ↑ After the summer, our town had this big anniversary party... And then, that whole week, Alex didn't come by and he didn't call me. It was weird, so I went over to his house. No one answered the door. I could hear Alex's mom crying... His dad came out and told me that Alex had left. That was a few years ago and I still haven't forgiven Alex for just leaving like that without even calling me. —Elle Holloway's Diary
- ↑ Adam's age and his birth date mean Homecoming must take place between April 2007 and April 2008. In October, Alex states in his diary that he plans on escaping from the hospital and hitching a ride to Shepherd's Glen, meaning that it would be impossible for Homecoming to take place in 2008 or else Adam would have been 54 years old.
- ↑ Cheryl Heather Mason was born in 1983. She was seven years old in 1990 when Harry died in a car crash. Dr. K states Cheryl has been denying her father's death for eighteen years. 1983 + 7 + 18 = 2008. As well, there can be boxes found in Orion Hunting Lodge with "2008" written on them. In the Dixon Bridge Control Tower, an almanac can be found with "2008" on it.
- ↑ There is a note in the game that says "Sat 2/20/10". In addition, the calendar in the protagonist's room corresponds to a June 2010 calendar.