The Swords of Obedience are items found in Silent Hill 4: The Room, only five being in existence. They are incredibly useful when battling creatures known as Ghosts. It is described by Joseph Schreiber as a sword with a triangle-shaped, wooden handle that has a spell written on it, and is heavy and hard to carry.
The sword is used to pin Ghosts down and keep them in place until the blade is taken out. A Sword of Obedience takes the form of an ornate, delicately crafted sword made of silver. As such, it has mystical properties which seem to be able to negatively effect the Ghosts. Due to only five being obtainable, Henry Townshend must choose wisely regarding which ghosts to subdue with the swords.
The swords are not meant to be used in actual combat. Due to this limitation, Ghosts must be beaten normally first before they can be pinned to the ground. Simply beating them with a melee weapon is enough to send them into this state, but a silver bullet can instantly knock one out. Ghosts caught by a Sword of Obedience make painful gurgling noises and constantly convulse and twitch, trying in vain to free themselves. Using a Sword of Obedience on a Ghost will leave it stuck in their own respective world until the blade is removed.
The "New Type" Ghosts are extremely dangerous and merit a permanent banishing with these swords. Unfortunately, the Ghost of Walter Sullivan cannot be pinned, even if beaten down to the ground.
- Building World, Eric Walsh's home (stuck in his ghost's form).
- Building World, interior hallway, end of the hallway.
- Subway World (2nd time), outside the door before leaving the world, after moving the King St. Line train.
- Water Prison World (2nd time), after washing the bloodied prisoner's shirt, in a 2nd floor room with bottles of black powder.
- Apartment World (2nd time), Room 202 (painter's room), in bedroom.