These are the Secrets and Unlockables of Silent Hill 3.
- In the very beginning of the game, when Heather Mason finds herself in Lakeside Amusement Park, rather than having to go through the park and activating the roller coaster scene, the player can simply fall down a hole and Heather will wake from her nightmare as if she was killed by the roller coaster car. Apparently, all that needs to be done is for Heather to die in her dream.
- In the ladies' toilet in the Central Square Shopping Center, there is a stall which is closed. If Heather enters the room before the shift to the Otherworld and knocks on the door, someone knocks back and upon further examination Heather will say that someone is inside and that it would be rude to knock again. However, after the Otherworld shift, Heather can knock on the door and again someone will knock back. If she walks away from the stall, it will open to reveal nothing but a large amount of blood splatter.
- The corpse on the floor of the boutique in the shopping center, which the Closer is feeding on, is a re-used model of Angela Orosco.
- After the fight with the Split Worm and the subsequent return to the Real World, Heather can find a store called News Boy with a design very similar to a red Pac-Man wearing a baseball cap.
- In the subway, inside the employee booth near the turnstiles are pictures which depict the Lying Figure scene from the second game.
- In the subway, an event will occur if Heather reads a newspaper about a man being hit by a subway train and an occult magazine about how "spirits may still be in the area of their death, and being near these areas is dangerous". After reading the occult magazine, head down the stairs and walk alongside the tracks and wait. The ghost of the man who was mentioned in the newspaper article will push Heather onto the tracks. Afterwards, Heather must immediately get back on the platform or she will die.
- In the construction site, there is a discolored wall in the same area as a mattress and a hole. If Heather uses a battering weapon to break the wall, she will find a silencer and a pair of legs. Heather comments on how the legs remind her of The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe, where a man accidentally kills his wife and hides her corpse behind a wall: "I made no doubt that I could readily displace the bricks at this point, insert the corpse and wall the hole up as before." According to the BradyGames strategy guide, the corpse behind the wall was supposed to be a cameo of Solid Snake from the Metal Gear series, hence the military fatigues the corpse wears, and the silencer belonging to him.
- In Hilltop Center, there is a business called "Store Front Poseables" that sells mannequins. In one of the rooms is a storage room containing many female mannequins and mannequin parts. Most notable is a propped mannequin in one end of the room. Should Heather walk away from it to the other side of the room she will hear a scream and, upon returning, will see it decapitated and covered with blood. There are two screams Heather can hear: the first is a high-pitched woman's scream and the second is Heather's scream if she falls downs a hole. It is not known what determines which scream the player hears.
- The Harry Mason model is re-used from Silent Hill 2's corpse in front of the television, which was also James Sunderland's model.
- In the normal Brookhaven Hospital, the Stanley Coleman notes are an additional sidequest that the player can miss. If the player takes the time to read the diaries, the handmade doll seems to follow Heather throughout her exploration of the hospital.
- On the cover of "SH Times" magazine in room S1 image of Maria in the upper right corner can be seen.
- In the 3F alternate Brookhaven Hospital, there is a storeroom containing a very large mirror. As soon as Heather enters the room, the door will lock and she will be trapped within for some time. The mirror shows the reflection of the room covered with black tendrils; the same seen coming out of the bathtub in the Hilltop Center. The tendrils in the reflection crawl into a sink, and then come out of the sink on Heather's side of the mirror. They take over the room, and the room will turn dark red. Heather's reflection will cease moving at this point. Eventually the room will be covered completely by the tendrils which will take on a sickening red glow, and spread over Heather's body. Should Heather remain within the room for a prolonged time during this, the effects will eventually overwhelm and kill her. It seems to be that Heather's eisoptrophobia (fear of mirrors) manifested itself in Silent Hill's Brookhaven Hospital Store Room.
- In room C1 there is a birthday card for Heather. However, the text is for Claudia.
- In the PS2 version, the player can make the camera zoom in by holding L2 and then pushing L3 (the analog stick) down during gameplay. Although it is noted in the PC version, it is not noted in the PS2 version.
- While wearing the Princess Heart costume, if Heather fights the Insane Cancer in the Otherworld Hilltop Center (in the room with the Pork Liver), it will speak Japanese in a robotic voice. Heather will speak Japanese when attacked or killed, and if Heather swings the maul, she makes a very comical war cry. 
- See UFO Ending
An alternative joke ending unlocked by killing at least 30 monsters with the "Heather Beam" and/or "Sexy Beam" attacks before entering Harry Mason's apartment. Heather must also not have any weapon equipped when she enters her apartment (i.e., the Heather Beam must be active).
Silent Hill 2 references
Douglas Cartland states that he went to Silent Hill on a missing persons case, but "he" was never found, which could possibly be James Sunderland. If a memory card with a Silent Hill 2 save is being used, there will be references unlocked to Silent Hill 2. These references include a toilet scene in the alternate shopping mall, a poster of Maria in Heaven's Night, a non-existent letter from a dead wife in Heather's apartment mailbox and an appropriate comment on a sturdy fence on Brookhaven Hospital's rooftop.
After exiting the clothing store where Heather first encounters the Closer, walk all the way down to the end of the hallway directly to the last locked door. Once there, turn to the left, and on the wall there should be a poster with a woman's eyes. At a closer look, the poster features Angela Orosco with Silent Hill 2 written across her mouth. If analyzed closely, at least 3 other faces can be made out, two in the bottom corners and one above where the poster says "Hill 2". These faces are Maria, James and Laura from "Silent Hill 2 Navigation File". This reference does not require a Silent Hill 2 save file.
If the player completes Hard mode, Extreme mode will be unlocked. This is a harder difficulty setting than Hard mode. There are 10 Extreme modes and completing one Extreme mode will unlock a new, harder difficulty mode. For example, completing Extreme 6 will unlock Extreme 7.
After completing Silent Hill 3 at least once on any difficulty, alternative costumes for Heather become unlockable. There are many costumes available, and they are each unlocked by inputting a special code into the the new menu available from the start screen. The menu consists of a typewriter interface, where the specific code for a costume is inputted to receive the costume. After typing the correct code, the costume will become available through the use of an item automatically placed in Heather's inventory when starting an extra new game.
Each costume is unlocked by a specific code. Some codes can be found in-game, some have been released by gaming websites and magazines, and some can only be used after fulfilling certain circumstances.
- Note: Costumes in red indicate that they are exclusive to the PS2 version of the game, and are not available in the PC version or in the Silent Hill HD Collection.
|"Transform"||Complete an Extra New Game||PrincessHeart|
|"Heather" shirt||Complete the game at least once||HappyBirthDay|
|"God of Thunder"||Complete Extreme Level X difficulty||GangsterGirl|
|"Golden Rooster"||Achieve a 10-star ranking||cockadooodledoo|
|"Royal Flush"||Deduced by clues in the chapel library||01_03_08_11_12|
|"Block Head"||Kill less than 10 enemies||PutHere2FeelJoy|
|"Transience"||Complete all riddle difficulties||ShogyouMujou|
|"Don't Touch"||Found in a magazine in the hospital Women's Locker Room||TOUCH_MY_HEART|
|"The Light"||Silent Hill 3 website||LightToFuture|
|"Killer Rabbit"||Official BradyGames guide||BlueRobbieWin|
|"Zipper"||Official BradyGames guide||Shut_your_mouth|
|"Onsen"||Found in Famitsu Magazine||I_Love_You|
|"13ème Rue" shirt||13ème Rue, a French cable network||Suspense|
|"EGM" shirt||Electronic Gaming Monthly||EGMpretaporter|
|"Game Informer" shirt||Game Informer magazine||gameinformer|
|"GamePro" shirt||GamePro magazine||ProTip|
|"Game Reactor" shirt||Game Reactor, a Scandinavian gaming magazine||SH3_Wrestlarn|
|"GMR" shirt||GMR magazine||GMRownzjoo|
|"OPM" shirt||Official US PlayStation Magazine||SH3_OPiuM|
|"Play" shirt||Play magazine||sLmLdGhSmKfBfH|
|"PSM" shirt||PlayStation Magazine||badical|
|"OPS2" shirt||Official UK PlayStation 2 Magazine||extra_thumbs|
|"PS2RO" shirt||Revista Oficial España magazine||MATADOR|
Douglas in boxers
This is an optional unlockable costume for Douglas. Like the other unlockables, the game must be beaten at least once. To attain it, highlight "Extra New Game" from the main menu, and enter the following button sequence before choosing the difficulty:
- ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → O X
Upon entering the code, Maria will sigh once the player chooses the difficulty level. The code above is called the Konami Code, as it is present in other games made by Konami, including Silent Hill: Origins and, most famously, Contra.
Heather Beam and Sexy Beam
- Main article: Transform Costume
The Heather Beam is a special unlockable weapon only acquired after defeating at least 333 monsters. As there aren't as many monsters in one playthrough, this can only be achieved through multiple games. The Heather Beam is not a tangible weapon and can only be used when no other weapon is equipped. The Heather Beam has two attacks; the first is a polygonal projectile that ricochets against walls. This attack is done by holding R2 and pressing X, and can be done in quick succession. The second attack involves target-seeking lasers and is performed by holding both R2 and X. Both beams are emitted from Heather's eyes, and make distinct noises.
The Sexy Beam is essentially a powered-up version of the Heather Beam. It can only be performed when all the above circumstances apply and Heather is in her Princess Heart costume. The first attack consists of a fusion of the polygonal projectiles and target-seeking lasers. White hearts will also flutter from the source of the projectile. The second attack is a constant, straight beam coming from Heather's eyes.
Both beams use up Heather's stamina, another quality apart from health that can be seen with the health bar. The stamina also determines Heather's running speed, and can be replenished by standing still or passing doors.
Unlimited Submachine Gun
- Main article: Unlimited Submachine Gun
The Unlimited Submachine Gun is an unlockable weapon only available after beating the game at least once. To get it, the player must have defeated the final boss with a melee weapon. This does not necessarily mean that a melee weapon must be used throughout the entire fight, rather the final blow struck must be from a melee weapon. Heather will find it on top of some of boxes at the end of the alleyway, after climbing out of the ladies room window of the shopping mall. As the name implies, the gun does not run out of ammo, allowing the player to simply hold the buttons to fire continuously. As with the other extra weapons, using the Unlimited Submachine Gun decreases the player's final score.
- Main article: Flamethrower
The Flamethrower is the counterpart of the beam saber. It can only be received after beating the game at least once, and after defeating enemies mostly through the use of firearms. It works like the submachine gun and is initially weak; however, after achieving a "perfect" ranking, its attack power receives a boost.
- Main article: Beam Saber
The Beam Saber is the counterpart of the Flamethrower. Only after beating the game once and using mostly melee weapons to kill monsters will Heather unlock the Beam Saber. It works like other battery weapons and receives a length extension upon receiving a "perfect" ranking.
Gold and Silver Pipes
After beating the game at least once, Heather can receive the Gold and Silver pipes. To do this, Heather must kill the creature in the sewer with the hairdryer, examine the water, and throw the steel pipe into it. After doing so, the Sewer Fairy will appear and ask Heather questions. If the player should answer honestly, she will reward Heather with both the Gold and Silver Pipes. Both have no redeeming value other than being easter eggs, as they are no different from the steel pipe with the exception of color/paint.
If Heather examines the Silver Pipe, she will talk about it being useful against vampires and werewolves and if she examines the Gold Pipe, she will talk about selling it for some quick cash.
If the player answers honestly, the Sewer Fairy will refer to Heather as a "truly honest man", despite the fact that she is female. This is corrected in the Silent Hill HD Collection, where the Sewer Fairy will refer to Heather as a "truly honest person", but the subtitles still read "truly honest man".
This is a reference to an old Chinese folktale about a farmer who accidentally dropped his axe into a lake; when the lake's spirit offered him a silver or gold axe, he told the truth that his axe was simply a normal one, and the spirit rewarded him with all three for his honesty.
Deleted and unused content
- The Closers have an unused climbing animation.
- The Nurses have an unused animation in which they are hanging from the ceiling and still fighting. The dragging animation from Fukuro is also in the game's files.
- One sound file omitted from the final version is the frightening noise of a baby crying in another room, meant to be heard on the third floor of Hilltop Center. Though it is unknown why exactly it would be removed from the game, it is possible that the developers found it too disturbing even by Silent Hill standards. In the Silent Hill HD Collection port of the game, a similar sound of a baby crying was used during Heather's first meeting with Claudia.
- There is an unused photo of Heather and Harry on the game disc. It can also be seen in the apartment texture files, suggesting it was located in the apartment in a frame. The items images suggest that it could be placed in Heather's inventory. The text attached to the picture reads: "It's of dad and me at Christmas. Looking at this makes me want to try even harder. I have to... I can't lose. They killed my dad and they have to pay for it."
- There is an unused model of a pair of batteries in game files. The item was located in the sewers in the room next to Sewer Monster. Possibly the item was meant to be used for the protagonist's flashlight like it was in the previous game in similar circumstances or for hairdryer.