These are the secrets and unlockables in Silent Hill: Downpour.
- The loading hint text sometimes displays disturbing messages. Some of them include:
- Everyone knows what you did.
- They're in the room. You just can't see them.
- Stop lying.
- They never loved you.
- Are you sure you're alone?
- She's lying to you.
- STOP DOING THAT!
- I know you're lying.
- It knows you're alone.
- We are all slowly dying.
- You can't ignore it forever.
- One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest is a novel by Ken Kesey set in a mental asylum. The protagonist's last name is McMurphy and the institution is in Pendleton, Oregon.
- Ryall State Prison is named after Chris Ryall who worked on Past Life.
- Murphy Pendleton's cell number is 302B, a possible reference to Room 302.
- George Sewell bears a resemblance to Detective Elliot Stabler, a fictional character on the television show Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. Additionally, a newspaper article regarding Murphy’s son mentions a "Detective Elliot Benson". The two main detectives on SVU are named Elliot Stabler and Olivia Benson.
- At the gas station at the very beginning of the game, the radio by the pumps is playing the first couple seconds from "Magdalene".
- In Devil's Pitstop, the player can hear Silent Hill's opening theme if they put money in the jukebox.
- On the roof of the gas station, there is a wheelchair. One could speculate that this is a reference to the Wheelman.
- Grooves of what appear to be the Wheelman's tire tracks can be found in several locations, the first of which leading from the sky tram station to the Devil's Pitstop.
- After meeting JP for the first time, using the binoculars can reveal some disturbing details. If the player zooms at the stranded tram wagon, a hand will briefly appear and fall down leaving a trail of blood. Zooming at the overlook where JP later commits suicide, a prisoner hanging from a noose can be seen. The next binocular available allows the player to zoom again at the overlook, this time revealing the Wheelman, who briefly stares at the player before disappearing. After witnessing the Wheelman, advance towards the direction of the bridge leading to the Devil's Pit. There is a small gathering of items nearby. These items include a collection of candles, jars, and wilted flowers. This could be a reference to the children killed in the Devil's Pit.
- Various paintings of the monsters can be found around town.
- In the Centennial Building, a large picture of the "Welcome to Shepherd's Glen" sign can be seen in Room 109.
- An Incubus-like picture, labelled "Demon Samael," can be found in the Centennial Building.
- Before going in to speak to DJ Ricks, the first part of "Love Psalm" is playing in the studio. DJ Ricks puts Silent Hill's theme to play while he is talking to Murphy on the Radio Station. Shortly after, DJ Ricks also plays Please Love Me... Once More while talking to Murphy.
- In the Movie Theater, there are posters for all the possible movies at Cine-Real in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
- After finishing the "Stolen Goods" sidequest, return to the room with the hanged thief to obtain new clothes. The outfit consist of a dark blue hoodie with a red undershirt and dark jeans.
- In the "Dead Man's Hand" sidequest, the model used for the prisoners bears a striking resemblance to Adam Shepherd. This is similar to and may be a reference to the Angela Orosco corpse in Silent Hill 3 and the Claudia Wolf corpse in Silent Hill 4: The Room.
- There is a truck that resembles Travis Grady's in the Port area, near the "Freedom" boat.
- Next to the "Freedom" boat lies a smaller boat which bears the name "Angela's fire". This might be a reference to Angela Orosco from Silent Hill 2.
- Several plaques in the Devil's Pit Mine make reference to the "Gillespie Coal & Iron Company".
- In the newspaper article about the children that died, a man from Chicago named Phillip Menton is quoted about how JP Sater was acting. This references Menton, the artist for the Past Life comics.
- A portrait that shows up in various locations (motel, Centennial Building, and apartments) in the game resembles Alessa Gillespie. 
- Most of the cigarette packs scattered through the game are Hemingways, which were introduced in Silent Hill: Origins and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
- In the "Surprise!" ending, Murphy is seen tunneling his way out of prison until the floor above him collapses, forcing him to emerge into the bathroom. Here, he is "surprised" for his birthday by several characters, including protagonists from the earlier games. The party guests include Sewell, Anne, Frank Coleridge, Ricks, Howard, James Sunderland, Mary Shepherd-Sunderland, Laura, two nurses, Heather Mason and Pyramid Head, who cuts the cake.
- Main article: Sidequest
There are 14 sidequests featured in the game in order to make the game less linear and to encourage players to explore the town of Silent Hill. None of them are mandatory, but most of them adds to the background story of the game.
There are a total of 6 unlockable weapons in the game. Originally, the only way of obtaining them was by using codes supplied by amazon.com and Gamestop. However, the codes were leaked and they are universal so anybody can use them without having pre-ordered Downpour. They have to be entered into the digital keypads of the green lockers around Silent Hill. There are a total of three lockers. The first is located in a house after exiting Devil's Pit. You can only use one code in a game. After entering a code, other lockers you encounter will be open and have the weapons in them again, including on a second or subsequent playthrough.
- Enter "171678" to unlock the Nailgun and Double Headed Axe.
- Enter "353479" to unlock the .45 Pistol and Baseball Bat.
- Enter "911977" to unlock Rifle and Golf Club.
This is a guide on how to obtaining the game's six different endings. The "score" system referred to works like this: Sparing incapacitated monsters increases your score, finishing them decreases it. Making good moral decisions raises the score, and making cruel decisions lowers it. There is no way to tell the score during gameplay, so try focusing on a single approach to obtain the desired ending.
- Forgiveness: Spare Anne with a positive score.
- Truth and Justice: Spare Anne with a negative score.
- Full Circle: Kill Anne with a positive score.
- Execution: Kill Anne with a negative score.
- Reversal: Allow Anne to kill you in the finale.
- Surprise!: Finish the game once and, on the second play-through, finish the Digging Up the Past side-quest.
Achievements (Xbox 360) and Trophies (PlayStation 3) are rewards given to the players for completing a certain goal. The game has a total of 41 achievements, 28 being regular achievements and 13 being secret achievements, awarding a total of 1000 Gamerscore on Xbox. On the PS3, the game has 42 Trophies.
|Rain Maker (PS3 only)||Collect all trophies.||N/A||Platinum|
|Now You're Cooking||Survived the Diner Otherworld.||20 points||Bronze|
|Going off the Rails||Escaped from Devil's Pit.||20 points||Bronze|
|Found a Friend!||Met DJ Ricks in the Radio Station.||20 points||Bronze|
|Whatever Doesn't Kill You...||Escaped the Radio Station Otherworld.||20 points||Bronze|
|Ashes, Ashes||Collected 3 pages of the rhyme book||20 points||Bronze|
|Out of the Frying Pan||Rode the Sky Tram to Devil's Pit.||20 points||Bronze|
|Broken Cycle||Defeated The Bogeyman.||20 points||Bronze|
|No Turning Back||Reached Overlook Penitentiary.||20 points||Bronze|
|Capital Punishment||Complete the game on Hard Difficulty, Any Ending.||100 points||Gold|
|Good Behavior||Complete the game on any difficulty without killing any monsters.||50 points||Gold|
|Silent Hill Tour Guide||Complete all sidequests.||100 points||Gold|
|Useless Trinkets||Complete the "Digging up the Past " side quest.||5 points||Bronze|
|Birdman||Complete the "Bird Cage" side quest.||5 points||Bronze|
|Calling All Cars||Complete the "All Points Bulletin" side quest.||5 points||Bronze|
|Neighborhood Watch||Complete the "Stolen Goods" side quest.||5 points||Bronze|
|Art Appreciation||Complete "The Art Collector" side quest.||5 points||Bronze|
|Silent Alarm||Complete "The Bank" side quest.||5 points||Bronze|
|Will Work For Food||Complete the "Homeless" side quest.||5 points||Bronze|
|Cutting Room Floor||Complete the "Cinéma Vérité" side quest.||5 points||Bronze|
|Turn Back Time||Complete "The Gramophone" side quest.||5 points||Bronze|
|What's your Sign?||Complete the "Shadow Play" side quest.||5 points||Bronze|
|Telltale Heart||Complete the "Dead Man's Hand" side quest.||5 points||Bronze|
|Dust to Dust||Complete the "Ashes to Ashes" side quest.||5 points||Bronze|
|Long Walk, Short Pier||Complete the "Ribbons" side quest||5 points||Bronze|
|Spot the Difference||Complete the "Mirror, Mirror" side quest.||5 points||Bronze|
|Silence is Golden||Kill or Incapacitate 10 Screamers.||20 points||Silver|
|Shadow Boxer||Kill or Incapacitate 10 Dolls.||20 points||Silver|
|Piñata Party||Kill or Incapacitate 10 Weeping Bats.||20 points||Silver|
|Lockdown||Kill or Incapacitate 10 Prisoner Minions.||20 points||Silver|
|The Bigger They Are...||Kill or Incapacitate 10 Prisoner Juggernauts.||20 points||Silver|
|Fight or Flight?||Escape 20 monsters.||20 points||Silver|
|Silent Hill Historic Society||Complete Murphy's journal with all Mysteries.||50 points||Silver|
|Stay of Execution||Incapacitate 20 monsters without killing them.||25 points||Silver|
|Gun Control||Kill 25 monster using the Pistol or Shotgun.||25 points||Bronze|
|Hypochondriac||Use 20 First Aid Kits.||10 points||Bronze|
|Puzzle Master||Complete the game on hard puzzle difficulty setting, any ending.||100 points||Gold|
|Ending A||Achieved "Forgiveness" ending.||50 points||Silver|
|Ending B||Achieved "Truth & Justice" ending.||50 points||Silver|
|Ending C||Achieved "Full Circle" ending.||50 points||Silver|
|Ending D||Achieved "Execution" ending.||50 points||Silver|
|Ending E||Achieved "Surprise!" ending.||70 points||Silver|