An unfinished letter from Lillian Shepherd to her husband Adam is on the second floor of the home, on a desk. When it was written isn't known, but Lillian complains that the house is "so empty", indicating it may have been penned after Joshua Shepherd's death and Alex Shepherd was sent away from home.
- Adam, I know that you will soon return to me, but I miss you dearly and writing to you always calms my nerves.
- Everything here is the same, but with you gone, the house is so empty...
Found sitting on a pump in the Shepherds' flooded basement, it appears to be from Adam.
- If it runs out of fuel, use the can from the garage to fill it.
A note found in the kitchen, written by Lillian, telling Adam not to forget to ask Curtis Ackers about an engine left with him.
- Adam, don't forget to ask Curtis about the engine.
Certificate of release or discharge from active duty
This certificate, found in the attic, is an official document given to Adam Shepherd upon his retirement from active duty.
- CERTIFICATE OF RELEASE OR DISCHARGE FROM ACTIVE DUTY
- NAME: SHEPHERD, ADAM J.
- RANK: COL
- PAY GRADE: O6
- DATE OF BIRTH: 19540418
- PLACE OF ENTRY INTO ACTIVE DUTY: FORT BENNING, GA
- LAST DUTY ASSIGNMENT AND MAJOR COMMAND: XVIIITH AIRBORNE CORPS
- STATION WHERE SEPARATED: FORT BRAGG, NC
- DECORATIONS, MEDALS, BADGES, AND CAMPAIGN RIBBONS AWARDED OR AUTHORIZED: GOOD CONDUCT AWARD, PURPLE HEART, SILVER STAR
- MILITARY EDUCATION: BASIC PARACHUTE TRNG, AIR ASSAULT CRSE, US MIL COMMAND AND STAFF COLLEGE
- TYPE OF SEPARATION: RELEASE FROM ACTIVE DUTY
- CHARACTER OF SERVICE: HONORABLE
- NARRATIVE REASON FOR SEPARATION: RETIREMENT
- I hereby certify that the attached document is a true and accurate record to the best of my knowledge.
- (signed) Adam J. Shepherd
Letter from Dad
A note of importance to game events, it is found in the attic once a sliding puzzle has been solved. After obtaining this memo and the map of Silent Hill that accompanies it, the Shepherd House is engulfed by the Otherworld, trapping Alex inside until he is able to solve four puzzles.
Scribbled on the wall in the Otherworld version of the Shepherd House, this memo serves as an introduction to the puzzles found throughout the house.
- To escape to the future you must know the past
- We are bound to our pain, remember, and set us free
- The patient in room 206 is scheduled to undergo a trans-orbital lobotomy tomorrow.
- I've mandated that the following medications be doubled on the day of the procedure...
Also found in Alex's room, written on a wall, this poem may be related to Joshua, and his inaction in regards to how Alex was treated by their parents.
- Nobody saw when you were crying on your bed.
- I wanted to help you, but I hid myself instead.
- The ticking of a clock, then suddenly not.
- Fate left me here, in shadow I will rot.
- Under my covers the darkness kept me in.
- Only the daylight can save me from my sin.