|“|| Honey, the adoption people said Sharon comes from West Virginia, and Silent Hill is in West Virginia. I'm not giving up on her, Chris, I'm not!
Little is known about her life before adopting Sharon. When she and her husband Christopher adopted Sharon, they loved her with all their heart, but could not control her sleepwalking. They eventually put her on medication, hoping to calm these nightly activities. Despite this and constant visits to doctors, Sharon continued to sleepwalk and Rose was eventually forced to make a choice: she could either have Sharon institutionalized for the rest of her life, or run the risk that her daughter would eventually die in one of these sleepwalking episodes. Desperate to avoid either of these things, Rose took her daughter to Silent Hill, West Virginia, the town Sharon would talk about in her sleep.
After narrowly stopping Sharon from throwing herself off the face of a cliff in a sleepwalking fugue, Rose takes her 9-year-old daughter and makes the trip to Silent Hill. In doing so, she defies her husband, who does not want Rose to find the town, and who believes Sharon should be institutionalized. On the way to Silent Hill, Rose encounters a police officer named Cybil Bennett at a gas station, raising the officer's suspicions when Sharon begins to yell and cry about the destruction of her drawings, which Sharon herself had drawn over while in a trance. Later, Cybil pulls Rose over, but the worried mother speeds off and begins a high-speed chase to escape the curious cop and reach her destination.
After swerving her car to avoid hitting Alessa Gillespie, Rose is transported to the Fog World, where she searches for her missing daughter. After chasing a child who she thinks is Sharon, Rose finds herself in the Fog World's darker side, the Otherworld. There, she becomes so frightened by the sudden appearance of childlike monsters that she blacks out, awakening once more in the Fog World. She then attempts to flee the Bowling Alley where she had encountered the monsters, but instead discovers that the road out of town mysteriously ends, falling off into nothingness.
There, she is confronted by Dahlia Gillespie, an old woman who claims Sharon is her child, not Rose's. Dahlia frightens Rose so much that Rose shoves her to the ground and runs off, returning to her car on the other side of town. In the car, she finds one of Sharon's drawings, depicting a child trapped in a school with several demons. Cybil finds Rose at the same time, and arrests her for speeding off, but her opinion of Rose is changed significantly when the pair are confronted by an armless demon.
Rose follows a trail of clues, hoping each will lead her to her daughter, and continuously chases the fleeing form of what she thinks is Sharon. As Rose sees the child more and more, she comes to believe that the girl is named Alessa, and that she died several years ago. With each of Alessa's appearances, Rose is forced to demonstrate the strength of her love for Sharon; reaching into a dead man's mouth, jumping over a giant hole, and descending into the Otherworld willingly in the hopes of finding Sharon. Unable to handle the darkness of the Otherworld, Rose collapses inside Midwich Elementary School, sobbing on the floor and refusing to move on. Ironically, the one person Rose needs the most at that time, Chris, is standing right next to her, but the two cannot see each other, as they are in separate realities. She is saved by Cybil Bennett, who drags her into a janitor's closet, where the two women dodge the giant blade of Pyramid Head.
From there, Rose and Cybil explore the Grand Hotel, where they discover a Sacrificial Chamber. Rose reveals that she now believes that Alessa was the one who made her crash her car while driving into the town. However, she is quickly rebuffed by a local woman named Anna, who states that the townspeople are not allowed to speak Alessa's name. The Otherworld returns, and the three women rush to a nearby church, where Rose is forced to watch as Anna is skinned alive by Pyramid Head.
Rose and Cybil soon meet Christabella, the priestess of a fanatical cult. Christabella tells Rose that a "demon" is controlling the town, and that she must confront the "demon" to find Sharon. Rose takes on a clear dislike of Christabella immediately, demanding to know why the other woman's personal religious beliefs should define everyone else's truth. Christabella leads Rose and Cybil to Brookhaven Hospital, where she says a demon wearing the face of an innocent lies in wait.
Upon discovering Sharon's picture in Rose's locket, Christabella condemns both Rose and Cybil as witches, but Rose manages to escape the clutches of the cult by Cybil sacrificing her freedom. An elevator takes Rose into the Otherworld version of the hospital, where she confronts several dark nurses, before finding her way to the room Christabella said was the demon's lair.
In the room, Rose learns about the past of Silent Hill, and that Sharon is the manifestation of the remaining purity of a child named Alessa, who was burned alive as a witch by the fanatical cult 30 years before. Rose brokers a deal with Dark Alessa, the manifestation of the dark part of Alessa, and agrees to help Alessa and Dark Alessa to take revenge on the cultists, in exchange for Sharon's safety.
Rose then enters the church and tells the cultists the truth, causing Christabella to stab her with a dagger pulled from beneath her robes. As Rose's blood drips onto the floor, a portal into the Otherworld is opened and Alessa and Dark Alessa rise into the church to take their final revenge. Rose finds Sharon and tries to hide her from the carnage, telling her "It's only a dream." While Rose keeps her head turned away from Sharon, Dark Alessa approaches, causing the two sides of Alessa's soul to reunite into a single body.
When the massacre passes, Rose leaves the church with a recombined version of Alessa, though whether Rose realizes this or not is unclear. As they leave the church, Rose proves that she understands Alessa better than her own mother does, telling Dahlia that Alessa did not kill her because "Mother is God in the eyes of a child". Rose and Alessa return home, however, they are still trapped in the Fog World. Rose sits quietly and stares into space with a small smile on her face.
Silent Hill: Revelation
Rose is only seen once in Silent Hill: Revelation, where she appears in a mirror to speak to Chris soon after she disappears in Silent Hill. She tells Chris that she has found a seal that allowed her to return Sharon into the real world, but that she was forced to stay behind. She makes Chris promise to keep Sharon away from Silent Hill, and then disappears.
When Heather, an older, rennamed version of Sharon, meets Leonard Wolf, he reveals that Rose stole half of the Seal of Metatron from him. At the end of the film, Chris tells Heather and Vincent Cooper that he cannot leave Silent Hill yet, and stays in the town to search for his missing wife.
Rose represents the Virgin Mary of Christian beliefs, as shown through her non-biological relationship to Sharon, her usage as a pawn of Alessa and the chain she wears throughout the film. Sharon is shown to metaphorically represent the Christ child, making the non-biological link between herself and Rose a representation of immaculate conception. Like the Virgin Mary, Rose is used by an all-powerful entity (Alessa) to raise a physical manifestation of itself that had been sent to live among Mankind. The scene of Dark Alessa merging into Rose's body acts as a metaphor for the Virgin Mary's impregnation by the Holy Ghost. Rose's symbolic link to the Virgin Mary is further shown in the locket she wears, which bears an image of the Virgin Mary on the front. Given the director's statements about the vast amount of Christian symbolism used in the film, this was likely intentionally suggested by the filmmakers.
Rose's name is likely a reference to the Biblical Rose of Sharon, a name given to a plant mentioned in the Bible, which is also used to describe Jesus of Nazareth.
|“|| She's playing a very rich woman who, until this film begins, has led an untroubled life. Radha brings something sophisticated and vulnerable to a character who is not initially sympathetic.
- "Hey... you know we're going on a special trip, don't you? Do you know where we're going? Honey, sometimes when you go to sleep, you go on a little walk... and sometimes you talk about a place... called Silent Hill."
- "Can you tell the best way to get to Silent Hill? I can't seem to find it on the map."
- "The medication doesn't work. She's getting worse every day."
- "Help me! Help. Help me. Help! Someone! Shit! Get off me! Get off!"
- "Have you heard a single word I've said? I'm sure she's at the school, we just need to turn around..."
- "Look, I don't know what you're thinking here, but you're not helping. There is no way I would ever harm my own daughter!"
- "Fuck you, you stupid cop. This place is completely cut off. You have no idea what's going on."
- "Help me. Oh, God. Please, please, help me. Help... Help me. Please, help me. Help me. Help me, please."
- "The founders of this town were witch hunters."
- "Oh my God, you could be her twin. Are you Alessa? Where is my Sharon?"
- "I've seen your daughter, I've seen Alessa. She's dead, isn't she? She looks exactly like Sharon. She brought us here, didn't she? Why? What does she want?"
- "Sharon's adopted, but I'm her mother. I knew that the moment I laid eyes on her."
- "Oh my God. Oh my God... What have you people done?!"
- "Do not believe her lies! I come from a world outside of this place! I come from a world full of life! Why don't you tell them the truth? Tell them the truth that you deny even to yourself. There was no Apocalypse! You burned in the fire that you started and nothing can save you because you're already damned!"
- "Burn me? That's your answer? Burn anything you're afraid of, burn anything that you can't control."
- "This woman uses your fear to control you. She led you to burn Alessa Gillespie, she led you to burn an innocent child. But you will not deny your guilt, and you cannot deny her pain!"
- "No, it's you who have sinned. You darkened the heart of an innocent and now you cower in the face of Alessa's revenge."
- "Your faith brings death! You are alone in this limbo, and God is not here."
- "Shut your eyes. Shut your eyes, baby. Shut your eyes. Shut your eyes. Shut your eyes. Shut your eyes. It's just a bad dream. It's just a bad dream."
- "Mother is God in the eyes of a child."
- Rose's name was originally Rose DeSalvo in the early script. This was changed less than two months before filming and appears on one of her prop driver's licenses. Her original name was likely a reference to Andrew DeSalvo from Silent Hill 4: The Room.
- A prop of Rose's driver's license reveals that Rose's birth date is August 8, 1970 and that she lives in Sidney, Ohio.
- The director of the Silent Hill film felt Harry was feminine in nature, leading to his character being replaced with Rose Da Silva for the film. He also stated that he wanted Silent Hill to be a matriarchal world, which he could not have accomplished by having a male lead character.
- There were over 100 different outfits made for Radha Mitchell, changing subtly from a dark chocolate shade to blood-red. These outfits symbolized the Fog World and Otherworld affecting Rose, most noticeable when she enters "the core of the darkness" (Alessa's hospital room), and her outfit instantly turns blood red.
- Director Christophe Gans has stated that the scene of Rose laying with Sharon under a tree is meant to depict Rose's "personal paradise", which includes the one thing Rose loves more than anything else: Sharon.
- A still of Rose speaking to Heather was one of the first images released for Silent Hill: Revelation, however, this scene never appears in the film. The scene depicted Rose calling to Heather demanding for her to run, only for them to be separated by the Missionary. Why Rose is still wearing the same clothes and has the same hairstyle 6 years after the events of the first film is not explained.
- Throughout Silent Hill, Rose becomes stronger and more determined in her search for Sharon, performing several dangerous stunts, including leaping over a gaping pit to find Dark Alessa, descending into the Otherworld and facing a group of undead nurses. According to the director, this determination turned Rose from an initially unsympathetic character into one the audience could identify with.
- Rose originally was supposed to have black hair. This description of Rose lasted until Radha Mitchell was hired to portray her, and was even drawn into the film's storyboard artwork.
- ↑ "And this scene under the tree is the scene which gives us, quite clearly, the main character’s own personal paradise. A simple scene, under a tree, in a field, with the daughter she loves more than anything." Gans, Christophe (2009). Silent Hill: Metropolitan Édition Haute Définition [Blu-Ray; Disc 1/2].
For a complete list of images of Rose Da Silva, please visit the Rose images category.
|Rose Da Silva - Christopher Da Silva - Cybil Bennett - Dahlia Gillespie - Thomas Gucci - Anna - Christabella - Sharon Da Silva - Alessa Gillespie - Dark Alessa|
|Sister Margaret - Eleanor - Colin - Lisa Garland - Jennifer Carroll|
|Pyramid Head - Creeper - Armless Man - Colin - Nurse - Grey Child|
|Bowling Alley - Brahms - Brookhaven Hospital - Church - Da Silva House - Gans County - Grand Hotel - Midwich Elementary School - Nathan Drugs - Sacrificial Chamber - Silent Hill, West Virginia - Toluca County Archives - Toluca County Mining Museum - Toluca County Orphanage - Toluca Lake - Smitty's|
|The Brethren - Monster - Flashlight - Manifestation - Otherworld - Fog World - Real World - Siren - Great Knife - Welcome Sign - Brethren Symbol|
|Heather Mason - Christopher Da Silva - Vincent Cooper - Claudia Wolf - Leonard Wolf - Dark Alessa - Douglas Cartland - Alessa Gillespie|
|Rose Da Silva - Dahlia Gillespie - Suki - Travis Grady - Order Soldier - Detective Santini - Mannequin Girl|
|Armless Man - Delusion - Leonard Wolf - Lobotomy - Mannequin Monster - Memory of Alessa - Missionary - Nurse - Pyramid Head - Valtiel|
|All Hallows High School - Brookhaven Asylum - Central Square Shopping Center - Jacks Inn - Sanctuary - Silent Hill, West Virginia - Lakeside Amusement Park|
|The Brethren - Halo of the Sun - Monster - Manifestation - Otherworld - Fog World - Real World - Robbie the Rabbit - Seal of Metatron - Siren - The Order - Great Knife - Welcome Sign|