The Red Square is a recurring symbolic object that appears in several Silent Hill games. It is not clearly known what significance it has.
Silent Hill 2
In Silent Hill 2, Red Square appears as the Save Points and may symbolize Mary's letter. It appears as a red shiny sheet of crumpled paper. It shines like it was dipped in water or blood. It is attached to walls and other vertical surfaces.
Red Squares can also be seen attached to the faces of Bubble Head Nurses in Brookhaven Hospital. The squares disappear from nurses' faces after James fights Flesh Lip who reminds him of Mary when she was ill and reviled him.
Silent Hill 3
In Silent Hill 3, red squares appear in the Otherworld. Four red squares appear in Hilltop Center above the hanging body in the room where the shift to the Otherworld occurred and later in the upper part of the cage construction behind the Gallery of Fine Arts. They appear to be made of textile this time.
Square sheets with the images of ears and screaming mouths also appear there. When asked what this means, Masahiro Ito answered: "'Mouth' means Alessa's shrieking insanity from the bottom of her heart. SH3's "Another world" where Heather enters is reflected in the Alessa's conscious. Alessa was bullied at school and suffered from her mother's cruelty. (Incidentally, mouth in SH2 means Mary's shrieking insanity.) Bleeding ear's case, I wanted to express Another world's personality like human. (That ear is Alessa's.) But I didn't wanna use the 'eye', because I didn't use it in Silent hill series creature's design. Bleeding means Alessa's conscious is mad. And the nurse red mouth means mad, too."
Square sheets with ears depicted on them are attached to the back side of most wheelchairs that Heather encounters in the Otherworld.
Red squares can also be seen covering the mouths of the nurses.
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Henry uses the red notebook as the save point.
- Square tablets symbolizing characters are used for atoning their sins in Toluca Prison in Silent Hill 2. The Tablet of "The Oppressor" could be considered a red square.
- Square cages with red curtains appear in the Otherworld Brookhaven Hospital and Church.
- Four rectangular plates that symbolize murdered victims are used to open the hole in the Room 302 in Silent Hill 4. The Temptation Placard could be considered a red square.
- Red squares also appear in the psychedelic video Ki-No-Ko. They are seen flying on the streets and sliding on the walls.
- In Silent Hill: Book of Memories, the male Raver class can wear a shirt with the nine red squares on it.
- ↑ Masahiro, Ito (adsk4). “When he is under attack, it reminds him of that she used to revile him. So, after that, all creatures have mouth.” Tweet.