Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Prisoners are two unseen monsters found in Toluca Prison in Silent Hill 2. They are located in one cell in each of the prison keeping hallways and seem to chant "ritual" in a deep, monstrous voice. Although the radio does not emit static in their presence, the Book of Lost Memories identifies them as monsters.
Despite the fact that they cannot be seen by the player, James Sunderland can ready a weapon, attack and even kill the creatures using a firearm. However, they are completely harmless and James is in no danger from the creatures. They emit a very human-like cry if killed.
The Prisoners seem to chant "ritual". It's unclear why these Prisoners are there.
- One prevalent theory is that the Prisoners were discussing a ritual involving inmates being sacrificed by the executioners of the prison (the Valtiel sect of the Order).
- They could be referring to the "Rebirth" ending. When "ritual" is reversed, it sounds like "Are you sure?". This could represent James's conflicting thoughts on whether or not he should perform the ritual for Mary's Shepherd-Sunderland's resurrection. Similarly, "The Reverse Will", the ending music of the "Rebirth" ending, contains subliminal messages that can only be heard when the song is reversed.
- The Prisoner could represent Mary, as it is a defenseless being entrapped in a room and James (depending on the player's action) puts it out of its misery.
- The Prisoners are one of the few monsters that are conscious and can speak in their monstrous forms, the others being Mary, the Twin Victim, the Bottom, Leonard Wolf, Momma, the Steel Guardian, the Bloodied Bag, Monocle Man, Alessa, Lucas, Ben, and Karen.
- However the Prisoners are not seen speaking specifically towards James or any other human, but seem to repeat one phrase, so the presence of their conscious is questionable.
|"Are you sure?"|
|The Prisoner's voice chanting "ritual"|