The bottle of Oxydol is an obtainable item in Silent Hill 3. Heather Mason can find it immediately after confronting Vincent Smith, on the second floor in the Otherworld version of Hilltop Center in a broken cabinet. By using it in conjunction with the pork liver and matchbook, Heather creates a fire potent enough to burn a painting completely in the Gallery of Fine Arts section of the building.
- The painting burned using the oxydol has a caption that reads "flame purifies all", which refers to the burning of Alessa Gillespie discussed in the first game.
- Oxydol is a compound that is defined differently in Japan than in the United States:
- In Japan, "oxydol" is the medical term for a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution.
- In the US, "oxydol" refers to a type of laundry detergent.
- Because of the above, "oxydol" is a poor English translation since it, combined with the description, could mislead players into thinking they should pour this brand of laundry detergent on wounds which is an absolute no. "Hydrogen peroxide" or "Hydrogen peroxide solution" would be a superior and more accurate translation.
- The description of the item says "You use this to disinfect cuts and stuff." In actuality, using hydrogen peroxide to disinfect wounds and cuts is a rather controversial practice, especially according to more recent research.