Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Old Silent Hill is primarily a residential area located in Paleville, usually ignored by people on vacation. It is the first environment visited by Harry Mason during his journey in Silent Hill. It consists of the streets Bradbury, Bachman, Bloch, Ellroy, Finney, Levin, Midwich, and Matheson. Notable locations in Old Silent Hill include Midwich Elementary School, Cafe 5to2, and Balkan Church.
While driving his Jeep to Silent Hill, Harry Mason accidentally swerves off the side of a steep cliff while trying to avoid a figure on the road. He awakens with his Jeep crashed into a fence on the north end of Bachman Rd. and soon discovers his daughter is missing. The protagonist eventually sees her in the distance and follows her through an alley located on Finney St. However, he is overcome by monsters and soon awakens in Cafe 5to2. He meets Cybil Bennett, and after encountering yet another monster in the cafe, he backtracks to the alley to discover a message from Cheryl's scrapbook saying, "To School". Harry comes to the conclusion that Midwich Elementary School must be the school the message was referring to, and while exploring Old Silent Hill, discovers that all roads to the school are blocked. On the west end of Matheson St., Harry sees a message on the ground saying, "Doghouse Levin St.". Following the clue, he discovers a key inside of a dog house on Levin St. and unlocks the front door of the house. Inside the house, he discovers a map and a locked door that requires three keys.
After finding the three keys, Harry unlocks the door and makes his way to Midwich Elementary School. Inside, he finds monsters, but no sign of his daughter; however, he does briefly see Alessa Gillespie. Harry hears bells in the distance and correctly assumes that they are church bells. He makes his way through K. Gordon's house and into the Balkan Church. Harry meets Dahlia Gillespie here for the first time and also obtains the Flauros and the drawbridge key on the altar. He enters the Orridge Bridge Control Room and lowers the drawbridge to Central Silent Hill.
Landmarks and businesses
- Convenience Store 8 - corner of Bachman and Finney. Health items and a save notepad can be found here. After completing the game with a Good+ Ending and restarting in Next Fear mode, the player can also find the Channeling Stone behind the counter.
- Food & Liquor - This store sells eggs, milk, beer, wine, snacks, soft drinks, and chicken legs.
- El Encanto
- Metropol Theater - located on the corner of Bachman and Finney streets. This is modeled after the theater in Dario Argento's film, Demons.
- Algernon is the name above a storefront on Finney St., but the outside gives no clues as to what kind of store it is. The name may be a reference to Algernon Blackwood, an English ghost story writer.
- Fish 'n' Fries
- Book Store
- High Life - This may be the name of a bar, or just a beer advertisement ("Miller High Life").
- Virginia's Bridal is a bridal shop.
- Jim Beam
- Lighting Co.
- Roger's Pastry Shop
- Shoes Repair and Luggage Renovators Luggage Repair
- Cut Rite Chainsaws is the store where Harry gets a chainsaw from a broken window. The store is modeled after the store where Dennis Hopper's character goes to buy a chainsaw to fight Leatherface in Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.
- Balkan Church is located on the corner of Bloch and Bachman.
- Hell Gas Station - This is near the Balkan Church, and Harry finds ammunition, health items, and possibly a gas can here. The logo is similar to that of a Shell station.
- Poston Market is modeled after Boston Market. The store also appears in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
- Ichiron's Drugs is another drug store. The sign says they offer prescriptions and ice cream.
- Julio's Auto Parts is an auto shop that advertises their sales on motor oil and U Joints on posters outside.
- Horned Moon Dance
- Fresh Roasted Coffee would seem to be a coffee shop.
- Cafe 5to2 is the cafe where Harry wakes up after his nightmare and meets Cybil for the first time in Silent Hill. It is where he gets the radio, the knife, a map of Old Silent Hill, and a health drink. He can also save there with the notepad. The cafe has a Medieval Madness pinball machine, a reference to Children of the Corn; a Portishead poster; and two "Study Dammit" posters, also a Stephen King reference.
- Midwich Elementary School is Silent Hill's elementary school. After finding Cheryl's notebook, which says "to school" in it, Harry goes there to look for her.
- Silver Goods
- Sundries Shop
- Market - The sign has a picture of cheese and wine, along with the phone number 555-8101.
- Top Sales
- Mark Twain - This store sells books and gifts.
- One of the stores, Convenience Store 8, is modeled after 7-Eleven. The other resembles a Shell Station. There's also a building called "QUEEN BURGER" with a similar logo to the old Burger King logo.
- The streets themselves seem to be named after famous horror and suspense writers, such as Robert Bloch (Psycho), Richard Bachman (a pseudonym of Stephen King), Richard Matheson (I Am Legend), James Ellroy (The Black Dahlia), Charles G. Finney (The Circus of Dr. Lao), Ira Levin (Rosemary's Baby), and Ray Bradbury (Something Wicked This Way Comes).
- In the demo version, Bachman Road was originally named "Bachman Ave.". This can be checked in two signs located near the location of Harry's crashed Jeep at the beginning of the game. The name was later changed to "Bachman Rd." in the final version of the game.
- Also in the earliest demos of the game, the area was originally named "Wrightwood", and several streets had different names, such as Finney Street, which was called Stanley Street, or Bachman Road, called Pullman Street.