- This article is for Lisa Garland as seen in the original Silent Hill and its film adaptation. For her role in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, see Lisa Garland (Shattered Memories).
|“|| Somehow I feel I'm not supposed to leave this place... Oh Harry, I'm so scared... I'm cold.
Lisa Garland is a character in the Silent Hill series, appearing in Silent Hill, Silent Hill 3, and Silent Hill: Origins, and the re-imagining, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, as well as a cameo in the film adaptation, Silent Hill.
Lisa was born and raised in the town of Silent Hill, and went to Midwich Elementary School as a child. With nursing being her family's tradition, she began her career at Alchemilla Hospital. However, it was here that Lisa became addicted to PTV, a drug being dealt by the hospital's administrator, Dr. Michael Kaufmann, and Silent Hill's resident cult, the Order.
One of Lisa's duties was to take care of a patient, Alessa Gillespie, who was severely burned in a fire. Alessa's body was covered in burn wounds which would not heal, and were always oozing blood and pus, requiring frequent bandaging. Lisa did not know what was keeping the girl alive (the Book of Lost Memories reveals Alessa's mother, Dahlia Gillespie, cast a magical incantation on her daughter, in addition to the God in Alessa's womb protecting her body). The ordeal of constantly replacing the bandages took a toll on Lisa's mental health and sanity. Alessa was hidden in the hospital basement for years.
Lisa wanted to leave Alchemilla and quit nursing Alessa because she eventually grew sick of it. However, Kaufmann refused to allow her, and threatened to cut off her supply of PTV, which led to arguing and fighting between the two. He apparently did cut off Lisa's supply, and Lisa apparently began to hallucinate insects and blood and pus flowing from a faucet.
Silent Hill: Origins
Lisa appears in the prequel game Silent Hill: Origins, where her role as an informant does not change. When Travis Grady wakes up in the reception area of Alchemilla Hospital, Lisa is by his side and introduces herself as a trainee nurse working in the hospital. Her kindheartedness shows when she persists in asking if Travis is alright. Lisa reveals that Alessa Gillespie had died because of her burns and tells Travis that she has to leave because Dr. Kaufmann has requested to meet with her at Cedar Grove Sanitarium.
At the end of the Otherworld sanitarium level, Travis finds Lisa in one of the rooms sitting on a chair with Michael Kaufmann nowhere in sight. Lisa sadly talks about a woman who always waits for her son and when Travis asks who it is, Lisa replies sternly "You KNOW who's in there!", before running off.
In Artaud Theater, Travis finds Lisa sitting on one of the seats in the theater, and she tells Travis that since the door was open and because she loves the theater, she had let herself in. She states that she wants to be an actress, but nursing is her family's tradition. Lisa then playfully flirts with Travis and suddenly backs away, explaining that she was testing out her "acting skills".
At the Riverside Motel, the player can see Lisa's red cardigan through a peephole in the Rose suite and hear her giggling. When Travis enters the Rose suite through a hole in the ceiling, he discovers Lisa and Kaufmann buttoning up next to a heart-shaped bed, implying that they had sex and that Travis had disrupted them. Lisa proceeds to leave the room in an irritated huff. There is evidence of PTV in the room, meaning that Lisa was hooked on the drug at least 7 years before the events of the first game.
When Harry Mason explores the Otherworld Alchemilla Hospital, he eventually finds Lisa huddled in a room under a table, hiding from the monsters. She claims that she has no idea what is happening, explaining that she passed out and when she came to, everything was different. It seems that Lisa is suffering from amnesia. Lisa is a good source of information about Dahlia and the cult that resides in the town.
Harry periodically loses consciousness and finds himself back in the Otherworld hospital, without explanation. Lisa does not act startled when he awakens, claiming he never left and was having a bad dream. During the final episode, Lisa emerges over him with her left eye twitching.
In Nowhere, Lisa explains to Harry that she ventured into the basement of the hospital and began to "understand" what is happening. Lisa realizes that she is only alive because she never noticed that she is the same as the other Puppet Nurses, who have been infected by a parasite. When she begs Harry to help her, he shoves her back, and Lisa starts bleeding from her head and every orifice. She staggers toward Harry until he runs out of the room. Although she sobs and bangs on the door behind him, Harry is too frightened to let her out and holds the door shut.
Harry may reenter Lisa's room if the player wishes, only to find that she is gone. Among her things is her diary; in it, Lisa writes that she can't stand being alone with "that patient" (Alessa) in the basement any more and is going to tell "the doctor" (Kaufmann) that she wants to quit.
A cryptic video tape which Harry found earlier can now be played if he inserts it into a VCR. The tape recording shows Lisa covering her face with her hands, pleading with an unseen figure (presumably Kaufmann) and promising she "won't tell a soul". This video tape may have been blackmail against Lisa.
Lisa does not appear again until the end of the game. If the conditions for earning either the Good or Good+ endings are met, she appears after defeating the Incubus; just as Kaufmann is about to escape, a bloodied undead Lisa rises through the floor and drags the horrified Kaufmann down into the pit she came from, presumably killing him.
Silent Hill: Play Novel
The Silent Hill: Play Novel is Silent Hill adapted into a interactive visual story. Because the story is interactive, Lisa has multiple fates and varying conversations with Harry.
She is first encountered in chapter 8, and the game follows through their meeting exactly as in the game. This also follows in line with their meeting when Harry passes out in the antique store.
In chapter 11, Harry and Lisa can have a alternate conversation in which Kaufmann enters the room, and the three begin wondering how they can get out of town. Kaufmann decides to sleep in his office, and when the room begins to turn cold, Harry offers Lisa his jacket but she declines it. When Harry attempts to bring a heater back into the room, he suddenly sees Alessa's figure in the hallway before it disappears, and he hears a sudden gunshot. When he enters the room again, he finds Lisa dead on the floor. Figuring that Alessa must have killed Lisa, he chases after her and also finds Kaufmann's corpse. To Harry's surprise, Cheryl Mason appears in the hospital with a gun in her hand and threatens to kill Harry. At this point, the player can choose the E-1 or E-2 ending.
- In the E-1 ending, Cheryl is with Dahlia and Harry realizes he killed Cybil Bennett, Lisa and Kaufmann but repressed the memories of their murders. He then blanks out and has a vision of him dead with a gun in his hand in their family study. Apparently the entire game was a hallucination.
- In the E-2 ending, Cybil appears and kills Cheryl. However, when Harry looks at Cheryl's corpse, he realizes that Cybil actually killed Dahlia. Cybil tells Harry she heard gunshots in the hospital and saw Dahlia with a handgun and bloody clothes. Dahlia then was about to kill Harry, but Cybil intervened. Cybil then tells Harry that his daughter is safe, and as they are about to go find her, the game blanks out. In this ending, apparently Dahlia was Lisa's murderer.
If the player never has this alternate conversation, the rest of the game will follow suit until Lisa's appearance in the basement hospital. Depending on what the player chose before, these things will happen:
- A or B Ending. Lisa charges out of the room. When Harry finds her, she says the same things she said during her mutation scene. The player can:
- Comfort her. Harry says he'll do what he can and holds her. Suddenly, Lisa begins dying, slowly losing control of herself. She mouths the words "help me" and falls down the stairs. Harry is devastated by this, but must move on.
- Leave Lisa. Lisa begins to get angry as Harry says he doesn't know if Cheryl is dead or not, and that he should care about the lady in front of his eyes. Lisa begins dying, falling headfirst down the stairs. After she dies, Harry becomes saddened and goes to the basement.
- C-1 or C-2 ending. Harry wakes up and Lisa is there, telling him a story about Alessa. They head to the basement together. They come across a symbol, and Harry asks if Lisa knows what it is. She mentions a mysterious 'they', in which Harry can:
- In the C-1 ending, Harry asks her who 'they' are, which Lisa begins to tell him but the light turns off. Harry hears Lisa's scream, then the growl of a female monster. The growl is actually from Lisa, who has mutated.
- In the C-2 ending, Harry shows Lisa Alessa's diary, which Lisa questions, and claims that Harry hates her. Before Harry can answer, the lights turn off and Lisa transforms, which causes Harry to run away.
Silent Hill 3
The same videotape clip Harry saw of Lisa wondering what was keeping Alessa alive is seen by Heather Mason, the reincarnation of Alessa/Cheryl, in Brookhaven Hospital. She remembers Lisa faintly, and is grateful for her care, going so far as to call Lisa's care "heavenly" after the flashback.
According to developer Masahiro Ito,
"Just before the shift to the Otherworld in the hospital, the nurse Lisa who appears in the first game can be seen. The purpose of including this is to show that Alessa's influence on the Otherworld grows stronger as she regains her memories. It indicates that even after the first game she continues to suffer in the Otherworld. Although a nurse appears in a similar fashion in the church as well, this does not have anything to do with Lisa."
In the chapel, Heather can find bloody footprints and crying. The first time leads to an angel painting and the second time leads to Alessa's sickroom. It can be speculated this is Lisa's ghost or spirit leading Heather in the right direction. Lisa may be trapped in a Full Circle, stuck in Silent Hill and its Otherworld.
Lisa's fate is left unknown since in the Good ending of Silent Hill 3, Heather is able to shift the Otherworld back to the Real World in Lakeside Amusement Park, perhaps suggesting Lisa's spirit was granted peace as well. However, it is unknown if Lisa's presence still lingers in the town or was granted peace after Heather had left.
Throughout Silent Hill 3, there is framed imagery of a mouth, which looks similar to Lisa. However, Ito confirmed that the mouth represents Alessa's insanity "shrieking from her heart".
Silent Hill (film)
Lisa, credited here as Red Nurse, makes a small appearance in the Silent Hill film, caring for the burned Alessa Gillespie as her nurse at Brookhaven Hospital, rather than Alchemilla. She is portrayed by Emily Lineham.
While Lisa is seen tending to Alessa, she becomes curious about Alessa's appearance and peeks into her tent, leading Alessa to lash out and burn Lisa's eyes as punishment.
Later, when Rose Da Silva visits adult Alessa and Dark Alessa in Brookhaven Hospital, it can be seen that Lisa's eyes are constantly bleeding and staining her clothes, another part of her punishment. When Rose tries to see her face, she walks away from her and refuses to let anyone see her eyes, while sobbing. Dark Alessa admits that Lisa did not deserve her punishment from Alessa, declaring "She even hurt someone who was only curious!". Lisa's fate after the end of the movie is unknown, and it is unknown if her presence still lingers in the town or was granted peace after Rose had left.
Cage of Cradle
This story chronicled some details of Lisa's personal life before the first game. It has been revealed that Valtiel kills Lisa in this story, Lisa was overdosing on PTV, and that she has a boyfriend named Matthew.
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
- Main article: Lisa Garland (Shattered Memories)
Lisa fulfills a similar role in the re-imagining of the first Silent Hill game, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. In Shattered Memories, Lisa has red hair, and wears a pink nurse's uniform.
As with her counterpart in the canon series, the Shattered Memories version of Lisa is an Alchemilla Hospital nurse who aids Harry Mason in his journey through Silent Hill.
However, this incarnation of Lisa is not a drug addict (although she can still overdose on pills), nor does she tend to Alessa (Cheryl Heather Mason stayed at Alchemilla, and it's possible Lisa may have been Cheryl's nurse during that time).
Silent Hill: Book of Memories
Lisa appears briefly in the joke ending of Book of Memories, with her face only partially shown.
|“|| The name Lisa comes from an actress who plays a nurse and is a murderer in the movie Sanguelia. Her last name is borrowed from Judy Garland who played a character in The Wizard of Oz who has lost her way in a dreamland.
|“|| Lisa is one of my favorite characters in the series. What interested me about her was that this “damsel” type character turned out to just be another part of the town. At the same time, it was hinted that the “real” Lisa was a troubled individual. This is a cool dichotomy, because even the people in real life we think are sweet and innocent might have darker sides as well that we don’t let ourselves see. I think in Origins, we get to see this darker side and maybe it’s not pleasant for everyone...but that is still something “real” Lisa has to deal with, and maybe she dealt with it by never revealing that side to Alessa. Then again, since this is Silent Hill, maybe Climax saw a “different” Lisa than you did, and maybe I saw a third Lisa when I played the game.
- "The room is filled with insects. Even with doors and windows shut they get in to spite me."
- "Feeling bad. Need to throw up. But nothing comes out. Vomiting only bile. Blood and pus flow from the bathroom faucet. I try to stop it, but it won't turn off. Need drug. Help me..."
- "What is it? Still has an unusually high fever. Eyes don't open. Getting a pulse but just barely breathing. Her skin is all charred! Even when I change the bandages, the blood and pus just start oozing through! Why... what is keeping that child alive?! I can't stand it any longer. I won't tell a soul. Promise. So please..."
- "Finally. Someone else who's okay..."
- "I get it now. Why I'm still alive even though everyone else is dead. I'm not the only one who's still walking around. I'm the same as them! I just hadn't noticed it before."
- "Stay by me Harry, please! I'm so scared. Help me. Save me from them... Please... Harry..."
- "The fire in the business district? How awful... I heard about that. No one knows how it got started. And that poor girl, Alessa Gillespie, to die like that..."
- "It's so sad... They can't do anything for her. She just sits there... She wants her boy so badly." (to Travis about Helen)
- "No. No! You KNOW who's in there!"
- "Dangerous? You're kidding!"
- "I want to be an actress. But mom was a nurse, and her mom was a nurse... So I'm going to be a nurse. I've got what it takes though..."
- "I can't stop thinking about you, Travis. I want you. You're all I think about. Let's get the hell out of this crazy town. Run off. The two of us. We could be so good together..."
- Alessa may have misinterpreted Lisa's care as actual affection, something she desperately wanted, having never received any from her mother. This might be the reason why Lisa retains her human form and individuality during the events of Silent Hill.
- A misconception is that Michael Kaufmann murdered her prior to the events of the first game, however, there is no evidence anywhere in the series factually stating this. Masahiro Ito stated that he believed Lisa might have instead died of an overdose caused by the PTV that Kaufmann provided.
- Another misconception is that the Lisa who Harry meets in Silent Hill is either a manifestation, ghost, not real, or has been dead the entire time. However, there is no evidence or proof factually stating this, only interpretation. It is possible that the Lisa in Silent Hill is the real Lisa who was dragged into the Otherworld by Alessa.
- It seems that the parasite is weak to Aglaophotis, which is shown to completely reverse the parasite's effects on Puppet Cybil Bennett. It is also implied that Aglaophotis is also made from White Claudia, suggesting White Claudia may be the ingredient which attacks the parasite. PTV is produced from White Claudia as well, which may be the reason Lisa didn't transform as soon as her co-workers if she was infected by the parasite.
- According to Sam Barlow, Lisa was most likely between the age of 16-17 during the events of Silent Hill: Origins. The youngest someone can be a trainee nurse in the state of Maine is 16.
- In Silent Hill 4: The Room, there is a character named Steve Garland. However, it is unknown if he is related to Lisa.
- In the original Silent Hill, Lisa wears a badge on her white dress and a wraparound on her arm with "SP" on it, which is believed to stand for "Specialist Practitioner." In Silent Hill: Origins, Lisa wears a badge with "LPN" on it, which stands for "Licensed Practical Nurse."
- Despite Lisa not being a major character in the series, she is the most recurring character in the series, appearing in five games: Silent Hill, Silent Hill: Play Novel, Silent Hill 3, Silent Hill: Origins, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, and Silent Hill: Book of Memories, and in one comic: Cage of Cradle, as well as in the Silent Hill film. Her role as a nurse and caregiver always remain intact throughout each incarnation.
- As stated by the creator, Lisa's maiden name came from Judy Garland, who, very coincidentally, died of a drug overdose.
- Silent Hill film director Christophe Gans stated in an interview that he wanted to explore Lisa's story in a sequel to the first film, however, the sequel was handed to Michael J. Bassett when Gans backed out of the project, and Lisa was not included.
Silent Hill: Play Novel
Silent Hill: Origins
Silent Hill film
|Rose Da Silva - Christopher Da Silva - Cybil Bennett - Dahlia Gillespie - Thomas Gucci - Anna - Christabella - Sharon Da Silva - Alessa Gillespie - Dark Alessa|
|Sister Margaret - Eleanor - Colin - Lisa Garland - Jennifer Carroll|
|Armless Man - Colin - Creeper - Dark Nurse - Grey Child - Red Pyramid|
|Brahms - Brookhaven Hospital - Church - Da Silva House - Gans County - Grand Hotel - Midwich Elementary School - Nathan Drugs - Pete's Bowl-O-Rama - Sacrificial Chamber - Silent Hill, West Virginia - Smitty's - Toluca County Archives - Toluca County Mining Museum - Toluca County Orphanage - Toluca Lake|
|The Brethren - Monster - Flashlight - Manifestation - Otherworld - Fog World - Real World - Siren - Great Knife - Welcome Sign - Brethren Symbol|