Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Halo of the Sun is an important recurring image throughout the Silent Hill series. It is the insignia of the Order, the religious group behind much of the strangeness of Silent Hill, and represents the aspects of God.
The lettering around its circumference is rovásírás, an old Hungarian alphabet. Many of the letters also contain characters of the Nordic alphabet from the Elder Futhark set. Some of these characters are "Tiwaz", which resembles an arrow, that symbolize the Norse god of war Týr and is meant to bring good fortune in battle. A symbol that looks like a letter "p" is "Wunjō" (or "Wynn"), which is supposed to bring joy, prosperity and relief from troubles.
When translated, the runes describe the ordo manifesto of the Order. It says that gifts were given to the Sun, and God was born. It goes on to describe the deeds God did, and what God wanted to achieve. Finally, it states the Order's goal of rebirthing God.
Many other symbols in the Halo of the Sun also appear in some Native American alphabets, possibly a nod towards the Native Americans having been subjugated by the settlers of Silent Hill. Viking explorers encountered Native Americans, particularly the Beothuk tribe, so it is possible that they took some of the native alphabet into their own language.
The symbol's two outer circles represent charity and resurrection, while the three inner circles represent present, past and future. The symbol is usually drawn in red and occasionally in black, but blue and yellow reverses the meaning into a curse on God and is forbidden by the Order.
- Top: A symbol that appears to represent an hourglass, or an inverted Dagaz rune
- Right: A symbol similar to π (pi)
- Bottom: The Libra symbol (♎)
- Left: Unknown, but a possible reference to Sunn O)))
The exterior ring represents charity.
- Top: A large eye; possibly the Eye of Providence representing God's supreme sovereignty and omnipresence in Christian symbolism. It is also the symbol of the Fitch Family, who serve as Shepherd's Glen's Performers of Rites
- Top-Right: Mirrored rovásírás letters for "Alizer"
- Right: Unknown; possibly an alternate version of the Bartlett Family symbol, due to its resemblance to a spade
- Bottom-Right: Mirrored rovásírás letters for "Alessa"
- Bottom: Resembles waves and a trident; the symbol of the Shepherd Family, who serve as Shepherd's Glen's Masters of Arms. The symbol is also eerily similar to the Lucifer's Signature.
- Bottom-Left: Mirrored rovásírás letters for "Dahlia"
- Left: A set of scales, with the two unknown symbols (the same as the those left and right on the outside) beneath it. It is also the symbol of the Holloway Family, who serve as Shepherd's Glen's Keepers of Lore
- Top-Left: Mirrored rovásírás letters for "Incubas" (probably referring to Incubus, the final boss of Silent Hill). Incubas also means "illegitimate possessor" in the Latin language, a reference of Heather being the mother of God.
The interior ring represents resurrection. The three circles represents past, present and future.
- Edge: A series of seemingly random symbols; including the alchemical symbols for Aqua Regia, glass, beeswax, borax, burned alum, "decompose", water, arsenic, lime, magnesium, steel, "sublimation", sugar, sulfur, autumn, cinnabar, cribbled ashes, "ferment", gold (at least three different symbols for it), hematite, magnesium, mercury, oil essence, "one dram", potash, salt, silver, soapstone, steel, "take" and wick. There are many other symbols that appear to be made up, derived of the zodiac
- Top: Double circle
- Top-Right: Rovásírás symbol AMB. Wiccan symbol for the Triple Goddess
- Bottom-Right: Double circle
- Bottom: Rovásírás symbol TPRU
- Bottom-Left: Double circle
- Top-Left: Rovásírás symbol TPRUS
- Center: Unknown (possible crown symbol, representing God's almighty rulership and omnipotence)
When Travis Grady finds Alessa Gillespie in her burning residence, he sees her on the floor with a Halo of the Sun under her. When Travis interacts with it, he says, "A strange symbol. Looking at it makes my head hurt" — a similar response to what Heather Mason says in Silent Hill 3.
The Halo of the Sun appears again twice, extinquishing the flames. In the process, the Halo of the Sun will turn a faint greenish-blue.
Any time a piece of the Flauros is revealed, it is always sitting in the center of a glowing Halo of the Sun symbol.
In Green Lion Antiques, Travis finds himself standing inside the symbol before fighting the final boss while observing the Order engaging in their ritualistic activity. This may imply that the presence of the symbol during the Order's rituals is of some importance.
The Halo of the Sun also appears as one of the possible flashlight shapes.
The save point in Origins is shown as a red triangle, and drawn inside it is the upper part of the Halo of Sun (the large eye) and a word with four letters.
The Halo of the Sun appears very often during Heather Mason's journey, as it acts as a save point for the player. Silent Hill 3 is also the game in which the player first learns of the meaning behind the symbol. It is also implied that each time Heather looks at a halo, she regains her memories of her past life.
Given that the crest of the religious organization symbolizes "resurrection" and "save and load", which are perceived as a "cycle of rebirth", it seems that a link to the real world is created. Before she understands the significance of the crest, she will state her confusion and displeasure at the Halo's appearance, which also gives her a headache.
After she understands the significance of the crest, Heather remarks: "But you know... just the thought of it is starting to turn my stomach". This is actually a message to the player (almost bordering on a fourth wall break), meaning "as far as the player is concerned starting over again and again is convenient, but for Heather herself, this is painful".
The symbol is found on certain, important doors, in the Wish House Orphanage, and on the loading screen. It is also found on the Crested Medallion. The holes Henry Townshend travels through are Halos of the Sun.
The symbol appears in two different forms in a number of scenes and motifs. A giant version appears on the floor of the main hall of the Church of the Holy Way, in front of the door leading to Adam Shepherd. A simplified version with just the three inner circles also represents the game's save points, much like the original symbol in Silent Hill 3. This simpler form also appears on the inside of Joshua Shepherd's family ring. The first of the two door puzzles which lead to Amnion is also designed with the basic shape of the Halo of the Sun, with three circles in the middle and two outer circles. The symbols in this version, however, are completely different, instead presenting symbols related to the puzzle.
Another simplified version of the symbol appears several times in Murphy Pendleton's Otherworld. It is emblazoned on large switches that temporarily slow or deactivate dangerous blade traps, and on one of the three bells in the final puzzle at St. Maria's Monastery. In both instances, interaction with the symbol allows Murphy to progress through the Otherworld.
Also, Wall Corpses are impaled on circular, metallic contraptions that resemble the Halo of the Sun.
The player finds the symbol drawn in the orphanage's bathroom. It is used as a warp between the Otherworld and normal versions of the building, much like in Silent Hill: Origins, where mirrors allow the player to travel between both worlds.
The Halo of the Sun is the map's symbol icon of the library.
It is also a collectable artifact, described as "A mysterious blood-red glyph burned into a flat stone."
The Halo of the Sun appears multiple times in Silent Hill: Revelation. It is the mark of the Order, the reigning cult of Silent Hill, West Virginia.
When Heather Mason returns home, she finds it written on the living room wall, along with a message telling her to come to Silent Hill. She locates a box with the Halo of the Sun on it, which contains information on the town's history.
Vincent Cooper has the Halo of the Sun carved onto his chest, allowing him to be brought over to reality so that he could locate Heather.
In the Order's sanctuary, an enormous Halo of the Sun is seen glowing on the floor.
- Main article: Brand of Samael
The Brand of Samael, with an appearance identical to that of the Halo of the Sun, is a symbol of importance in IDW Publishing's Silent Hill series of comics. As a brand, the symbol is used to identify those individuals who serve the will of the entity known as Samael.
- In Silent Hill 3, an image of Alessa in one of the Order's textbooks is seen with a halo around her head. It could be thought that halos are of deep meaning to the Order, and may represent occultic sun worship, especially considering how the Order worships a sun deity.
- The Halo of the Sun in Origins is actually void of an original design on its right side; instead, the left side is mirrored.
- In Silent Hill 2, a similar symbol is seen in Toluca Prison, but it has 4 inner circles instead of 3.
- In the Silent Hill film, a symbol very similar to the Halo of the Sun can be seen within Midwich Elementary School when Dark Alessa appears. Circular symbols are also found on the stall doors inside Midwich's bathroom.
- In P.T., the symbol that appears whenever the game loads or autosaves resembles a very simplified version of the Halo, with only the three inner circles being represented.
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Silent Hill: Revelation
|Heather Mason - Christopher Da Silva - Vincent Cooper - Claudia Wolf - Leonard Wolf - Dark Alessa - Douglas Cartland - Alessa Gillespie|
|Rose Da Silva - Dahlia Gillespie - Suki - Travis Grady - Order Soldier - Detective Santini - Mannequin Girl|
|Armless Man - Delusion - Leonard Wolf - Lobotomy - Mannequin Monster - Memory of Alessa - Missionary - Nurse - Pyramid Head - Valtiel|
|All Hallows High School - Brookhaven Asylum - Central Square Shopping Center - Jacks Inn - Sanctuary - Silent Hill, West Virginia - Lakeside Amusement Park|
|The Brethren - Halo of the Sun - Monster - Manifestation - Otherworld - Fog World - Real World - Robbie the Rabbit - Seal of Metatron - Siren - The Order - Great Knife - Welcome Sign|