Silent Hill film
In the Silent Hill film, the Grand Hotel is the property of the Brethren, a fanatical religious cult who branded the hotel with their symbol. To further their secret agenda of killing those who opposed them, the cult built a secret passageway into the building next door, connected through Room 111.
Rose Da Silva enters the Grand Hotel in search of her daughter, who had disappeared after a car accident. After finding a clue in the bathroom of Midwich Elementary School and escaping the Otherworld version of the school, Rose and Cybil Bennett make their way to the Grand Hotel, where they meet a denizen of Silent Hill, West Virginia, Anna.
After finding a pile of tablets similar to the one Rose found in a corpse's mouth, Cybil discovers a room cubby that holds a drawing of a child being tortured by demons. From there, the women discover a hidden room behind a painting. The three then search for any leads as to where Rose's daughter is. Through the secret room, they discover what appears to be a dilapidated sacrificial chamber, where Rose attempts to speak with Dark Alessa.
Through flashbacks, it is revealed that the Grand Hotel, specifically the secret room, was a frequent meeting place of the town's cult. It was in the hotel that Alessa Gillespie was kidnapped from her mother, to be burned alive as a witch.
Silent Hill: Homecoming
It is a nine story building, but only five floors are accessible. The Grand Hotel is like all structures within Silent Hill; it has fallen into extreme disrepair due to its infection by the Fog World. Power has been cut off to the elevator which can be restored by finding a key and solving a puzzle, and most doors are jammed shut. All of the upper floors have begun to collapse in sections, and monsters have taken up residence.
Alex Shepherd is first taken to Silent Hill after visiting Rose Heights Cemetery a second time and passing out. Upon waking, he finds himself in an unidentified section of Silent Hill, presumably an edge of town due to the presence of the famous welcome sign, and proceeds to chase his brother into the Grand Hotel. Unlike the previous iteration of the hotel, it is not linked to the Order or any secretive cult. Though there are references to the film such as the secret passage hidden behind a painting, the Grand Hotel's purpose in this game is mainly to elaborate on the story of Sam Bartlett.
The objective within the Grand Hotel is to retrieve three postcards for a woman who seems to have locked herself inside Room 301. In doing so, she will grant Alex a key that will unlock the door he found when he slashed open the painting, which leads to Room 306. Once inside, Alex finds Joshua Shepherd, leering at him from across a gap, and attempts to jump to him. Rather than make the jump, Alex falls through the gap, and ends up on the ground floor. This gives him access to the Hotel Atrium, and leads to his encounter with Sam Bartlett and the boss fight with Sepulcher.
- In the film, a painting titled A Procession of Flagellants can be found in the hotel depicting men with conical hats and tan skirts. This painting may be the basis for Alessa's manifestation of Pyramid Head.
- There is a small scene of the characters in the film jumping from one building to another; this is a reference to Silent Hill 2.
- The set used for the Grand Hotel in the film was an actual abandoned hotel located just outside Toronto. Initially, the location was considered too unsafe to work in by crew unions, but director Christophe Gans was able to strike a deal to use the area by agreeing to spray a special glue on the ground to keep dust from being kicked up. Because it was an actual abandoned hotel, very few props were needed. Most of the items seen in the hotel were already there.
- The abundance of Swarm and Needler enemies as well as insects running through the Hotel may pertain to Joey Bartlett's interest in gardening and how he was killed.
- Several Nurses roam the hotel. Their presence is likely due to the late Clayton Doyle, who received medical care in his suite during his illness.
- Memos reveal that Mayor Bartlett volunteered his time to tend to the Atrium. They also reveal he used this opportunity to bury his son under it. Whether or not Joey was dead or alive at the time is unknown.
|Rose Da Silva - Christopher Da Silva - Cybil Bennett - Dahlia Gillespie - Thomas Gucci - Anna - Christabella - Sharon Da Silva - Alessa Gillespie - Dark Alessa|
|Sister Margaret - Eleanor - Colin - Lisa Garland - Jennifer Carroll|
|Pyramid Head - Creeper - Armless Man - Colin - Nurse - Grey Child|
|Brahms - Brookhaven Hospital - Church - Da Silva House - Gans County - Grand Hotel - Midwich Elementary School - Nathan Drugs - Pete's Bowl-O-Rama - Sacrificial Chamber - Silent Hill, West Virginia - Smitty's - Toluca County Archives - Toluca County Mining Museum - Toluca County Orphanage - Toluca Lake|
|The Brethren - Monster - Flashlight - Manifestation - Otherworld - Fog World - Real World - Siren - Great Knife - Welcome Sign - Brethren Symbol|