|“|| Maybe I am nothing but a fat, disgusting piece of shit! But you know what? It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty... it's all the same once you're dead! And a corpse can't laugh. From now on, if anyone makes fun of me... I'll kill 'em.
Eddie Dombrowski is a character from Silent Hill 2. He is an extremely insecure, mentally disturbed and bullied young man who is self-conscious about his weight and physical appearance and has a troubled past which draws him to Silent Hill. Like Angela Orosco, he is also currently homeless and fleeing from the police.
Eddie worked part time at a gas station. He wears khaki shorts and a blue-and-white striped polo shirt, together with a cap turned backwards.
He views himself, in his own words, a "fat disgusting piece of shit". The novelization reveals Eddie believes his own life is "shitty", and he does not mind that most women are not attracted to him, however, he despises being bullied.
Due to being overweight, Eddie was bullied and verbally abused all his life, including high school, and called a "fatass" and "ugly". He dislikes the body he was born with, feeling it does not represent who he really is inside, and is sick of being judged by his physical appearance.
One bully, a football player in particular, would not leave Eddie alone even after graduation. Eventually, Eddie mentally snapped and shot him in the knee with his father's gun, crippling him, though did not kill him. Eddie then proceeded to kill the bully's dog. Afterwards, Eddie fled from the authorities, wandering for a while before coming to rest in Silent Hill, claiming that the town "called" him there.
Silent Hill 2
Arriving in Silent Hill, Eddie is gradually brought into a nightmarish vision of his own personal hell. Eddie is first encountered in the Wood Side Apartments, vomiting copiously into a toilet in one of the rooms after finding a corpse inside of a fridge. When he is approached by James Sunderland, he immediately starts claiming innocence of the death of the man in the refrigerator, telling James that he isn't even from Silent Hill. Because of Eddie's defensive behavior, James asks if he's acquainted with the "Red Pyramid Thing". Eddie denies relation to any such creature, not knowing what James is referring to, but states that he has seen some "weird-looking monsters".
Eddie is later seen in Pete's Bowl-O-Rama, having a conversation with Laura while eating pizza. Despite the fact that Laura continuously insults him throughout their time together, he remains relatively civil to her. When James's appearance causes Laura to flee, Eddie decides not to accompany James in his pursuit of her, explaining sulkily that she said "a fatso like [him] would just slow her down".
Somehow, Eddie reappears deep underground in Toluca Prison's cafeteria, slumped against the door and muttering to himself about how killing a human is "no big deal". There is yet another corpse lying on one of the cafeteria tables, but this time, Eddie attempts to justify his actions to James, claiming that the man "had it coming" and that he "was making fun of me with his eyes". When James refuses to accept Eddie's reasoning, Eddie utters a nervous laugh and jokes that the corpse was already there when he arrived. Afterwards, Eddie runs off. A grave with his name on it, next to James's and Angela Orosco's, can be found in a graveyard later on.
In the labyrinth, James is allowed to step into Eddie's Otherworld, which appears to take on the form of a meat locker. It is bitterly cold, frosted over, and huge lumps of meat that are shaped like human bodies dangle from meat-hooks. The meat locker presumably represents Eddie's cold detachment from reality and his lack of remorse in killing people. James tries to reason with Eddie, but Eddie's growing insanity and insecurity causes him to translate James's reasoning into insults. Eddie claims that someone's intelligence and physical appearance are meaningless once they are dead as everyone will inevitably become a rotting corpse.
He then shoots at James with his revolver; James, in turn, is forced to protect himself to survive, instigating a battle. During this fight, Eddie uses his revolver and his fists, even attempting to pistol-whip James, and will frequently hide behind the meat carcasses for protection. James kills Eddie and is horrified and remorseful that he murdered a human being.
- "I didn't do it... I swear I didn't kill anybody."
- "James, I... I umm... you be careful, too."
- "Naw, I just ran 'cause I was scared. I don't know what the cops are doing."
- "It's no good... they wouldn't listen. Nobody will ever forgive me."
- "She said she was fine by herself. Said a fatso like me would just slow her down."
- "Killing a person ain't no big deal. Just put the gun to their head... pow!"
- "That guy... he had it coming! I didn't do anything! He just came after me! Besides, he was making fun of me with his eyes, like that other one!"
- "Oh, yeah? Why not? 'Til now, I always let people walk all over me! Just like that stupid dog... He had it coming, too!"
- "Heh heh... I was just joking, James! He was dead when I got here, honest! Anyway, I gotta run..."
- "What does it look like? He always busted my balls. 'You fat, disgusting piece of shit! You make me sick!'. 'Fat-ass, yer nothin' but a waste of skin!'. 'You're so ugly, even your mama don't love you!'. Well, maybe he was right. Maybe I am nothing but a fat, disgusting piece of shit! But you know what? It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty... it's all the same once you're dead! And a corpse can't laugh. From now on, if anyone makes fun of me, I'll kill 'em! Just like that!"
- "I knew it. You too! You're just like 'em, James!"
- "Don't bother. I understand. You've been laughing at me all along, haven't you? Ever since we first met! I'll kill you, James!"
- "Do you know what it does to you, James? When you're hated, picked on, spit on, just 'cause of the way you look? After you've been laughed at your whole friggin' life?! That's why I ran away after I killed the dog. Ran away like a scared little girl. Yeah, I killed that dog. It was fun! It tried to chew its own guts out. Finally died all curled up in a ball... Then he came after me! I shot him too! Right in the leg! He cried more than the dog! He's gonna have a hard time playing football on what's left of that knee."
- "Don't get all holy on me, James. This town called you, too. You and me are the same. We're not like other people. Don't you know that?! Let's party!"
|“|| In the initial stages of the scenario, Eddie was actually a very cheerful character. Therefore, the name was borrowed from Eddie Murphy. In the end however, we changed his personality completely.
- Eddie's last name is Polish (a variant of the more common "Dąbrowski"), hinting that he is of Polish descent.
- It is possible that Eddie's surname is borrowed from Louise Dombrowski from Twin Peaks, considering how often the series is referenced throughout the games.
- At the beginning of Silent Hill 2, Eddie is seen sitting beside a van holding a large map with his finger pointed at it. Laura then gives him a playful kick. This suggests he crossed paths with Laura and the two traveled together to Silent Hill. This van is the same van near the start of the game at the entrance to Toluca Lake. A Pete's Bowl-O-Rama sign is behind it, which is later where Eddie will end up.
- This is confirmed by the Book of Lost Memories, which states that Laura and Eddie met by chance on the way to Silent Hill.
- Across from the room where James first meets Eddie is a room full of football posters, and even a poster that has "Physical beauty" written on it. This alludes to the football player that Eddie had shot in the knee.
- The Tablet of "Gluttonous Pig" represents Eddie.
- The amount of times the camera angle changes during his rant is meant to show his unstable mental state.
- During Eddie's rant in the Labyrinth, when he says, "It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...", the subtitles say "your" instead of "you're" in the Silent Hill HD Collection.
- During Eddie's death, his face is obscured by a meat corpse and then by James. This is likely an artistic choice.
- He is the first non-possessed human enemy of the series.
- The dog Mira doesn't like Eddie; when Eddie is shown during the credits of the Dog ending, Mira growls angrily, alluding to Eddie's killing of a dog.
- In Silent Hill: Homecoming, it is possible to get an achievement called "Eddie's Legacy" after killing the first Feral, a canine enemy.
- According to the "Making of Silent Hill 2", Eddie's physical model was actually borrowed from the creator's friend.
- According to the game's novelization, the gun which Eddie used to shoot the football player was his father's.
- According to Masahiro Ito, Eddie only killed a dog. The bodies that appear in his scenes in Silent Hill 2 are just delusions.