Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Closer is a common monster in Silent Hill 3. Excluding Heather Mason's dream sequence, this is the first type of monster she encounters. It is seen in a clothing store as it feeds on a woman's corpse. Heather shoots it to death as it approaches her.
Its brownish body seems to mock the female form, as its entire face resembles a pair of lips; it seems to be wearing a miniskirt. The Closer is a tall, menacing creature, with thick, all-encompassing arms. Some sections of the creature's arms seem to be stitched together and bandaged up. The Closer's lips rotate and twitch relentlessly, emanating a wet, disturbing sound. Two sharp protrusions are held inside the creature's arms and can be extended outwards much like one uncurls a finger. When attacking, they extend one of these "blades" and thrust it forwards rather sluggishly.
The Closer shares similar characteristics of the Mandarin. According to Masahiro Ito, the reason they look similar is because the Mandarin was one of the most underrated monsters of Silent Hill 2. His intentions by them both having similar designs was to imply that their appearance was not just dependent on the person, but that the power of Silent Hill also had some input on the "design" of the monsters.
Closers move slowly, but their massive size and reach make them very dangerous, as is their tendency to appear in tight spaces that prevent Heather from getting around them unscathed. They attack by hitting Heather with their club-like arms or extending a blade-like bone fragment from the tips of their arms, something that throws Heather back and, especially without the Bulletproof Vest, can drain most of her health. They emit a series of grunts and groans when Heather is nearby.
Following Brookhaven Hospital, the Closers become significantly more dangerous. If the player gets too close in an attempt to attack them, they will defend themselves by swinging their arms in a circle, a move that, while rather sluggish in mid-action, is executed very suddenly, allowing for an extremely minuscule reaction time.
According to the Book of Lost Memories, its name is derived from its ability to obstruct a path with its huge body.
The Closer may be a manifestation of Alessa Gillespie's memories of her mother's abuse, hence the enlarged arms. The Closer's arms also seem to resemble punching bags, further alluding to Heather's repressed memories of being abused. It is also similar to one of the monsters Alessa used to draw as a child.
It could be a distorted interpretation of real people: mall shoppers. It is reminiscent of a figure holding a shopping bag in each hand. This is supported by the fact that it first appears in the Central Square Shopping Center. Its mouth is the most prominent feature on the face, possibly reflecting the idea that mall shoppers talk too much and are annoying.
There is a running theme of maternity and femininity in Silent Hill 3 and many of its monsters due to the central conflict of the game centering on impregnation in the the Order's attempts to force Heather to birth their god. The Closer's face can be thought of to look like labia (vaginal lips), which correlates with this theme. Also connecting the Closer to the theme of impregnation or maternity is the sounds it will emit when fallen; the Closer will make very loud moaning noises, all the while writhing about on the floor. This can be seen as reminiscent of sexual intercourse.
- If the game code is hacked and the gore is removed from the corpse that the first Closer is eating, the corpse is revealed to be a modified model of Angela Orosco.
- Akira Yamaoka, the sound director for the series, took the sounds of a rhinoceros and digitally altered them to create the sounds of the Closer.
- The "outfit" the Closer wears is similar to the dress that Alessa Gillespie wore in Silent Hill.
- Closers may appear in Hazel Street Station (as proven in the Gallery below), but it is currently unknown how. It may be related to harder action levels, the platform the game is being played on (PC/PS2/PS3/Xbox 360), the region of the game, or something else. It is possible they appear after obtaining the shotgun.
- A drawing of the Closer is in a corner of Alessa's room, near the locked door leading to the final boss fight.
- The Japanese message "南無妙法蓮華経" is written vertically on the top of the Closer's head, which literally translates as "like Lotus Sutra".
- The Closer has unused animations showing it to be able to climb to higher areas with the nail-like extensions that protrude from its arms.
|Aaron - Dahlia - Jason - Leo|
|Faceless Monster - Ceiling Monster - Closer - Multi-Headed Monster - Bladed Monster - Canine Monster|
|Borley Haunted Mansion - Silent Hill - Sanctuary - Lakeside Amusement Park|
|Fog World - Monster - Otherworld - Real World|
|Scott Ciencin - Shaun Thomas|