- The name Cheryl may refer to multiple subjects. Please see Cheryl for other uses of the term.
|“|| The man who died, that wasn't my father. That isn't who I remember. Those memories are all I have... You are all I have.
Cheryl Heather Mason is the daughter of Dahlia and the late Harry Mason in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. The manifestation of Harry in Cheryl's mind seen in the game is oblivious to the fact that Cheryl is a 25-year-old woman rather than a 7-year-old girl, and searches for her throughout the course of the game.
Cheryl is the true protagonist of Shattered Memories, however, the player does not realize this until the very end of the game.
Cheryl, as she is seen 18 years ago, has a much more traditional western appearance than how she appeared in the original Silent Hill.
She wears blue overalls over an orange T-shirt, with socks and Mary Jane style shoes. Her hair is short, brown and kept under a headband and she wears colorful wristbands on her left wrist.
In the present, Cheryl wears a brown jacket over a buttoned plaid blouse with jeans and green slippers. She may also be seen wearing a black obsidian necklace around her neck.
In 1983, Harry and his wife Dahlia had a daughter who they named Cheryl Heather Mason. Harry could be considered a loving father towards his daughter, but this is left up to speculation and which ending received. Cheryl and her family lived together at 1206 Levin Street in the town of Silent Hill.
At the age of 7 (18 years prior to the events of the game), Cheryl's father was tragically killed in a car accident. Cheryl was deeply affected by this sudden loss and experienced complicated grief for the next 18 years, while trying to deny her father's death. As a result, Cheryl also began to resent her mother. During Cheryl's teenage years, Dahlia moved with her to Simmons Street and Cheryl was excluded from Midwich High School, where she had been bullied and harassed by other students. As the years went by, Cheryl's memories of her father became blurry and she began to believe that Harry was her hero - her knight in shining armor.
During the game, many fragments and memories of Cheryl's life from when Harry was alive and after Harry's death can be found. These include:
- Cheryl being taken by Dahlia and Harry to Caldecotte Woods for a vacation, where she accidentally cuts herself with glass.
- Cheryl having to stay at Alchemilla Hospital.
- Cheryl receiving a dog from Harry as a gift, but having it accidentally run over by her father while driving.
- Cheryl spying on Harry and Dahlia in the Tunnel of Love. Cheryl ruins the moment however, as the ride operator puts a stop to the ride due to Cheryl being in the tunnel.
- Cheryl sitting on the swing at the playground, calling for her father.
- Cheryl going to a party in the woods and having something terrible happen to her; she is drugged by the people at the party and she starts stripping.
- Cheryl being pressured into having sexual intercourse by her high school boyfriend, Steve. However, he leaves her due to the fact that she is unwilling and reserved.
- Cheryl having an affair with a teacher at Midwich High School.
- Cheryl shoplifting in Toluca Mall.
- Cheryl stabbing a security officer named Malcolm with a knife in Toluca Mall. In the game, the knife can be found inside a locker. Another security officer tells the 911 operator that he thinks Malcolm is dead but his death is never confirmed. He most likely survived, given Cheryl is a free woman in the game.
- Cheryl being arrested in Portland.
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
To overcome her grief, Cheryl visits the Lighthouse Clinic for counseling and family therapy, and there Cheryl visits a psychiatrist named Michael Kaufmann. Dr. Kaufmann causes Cheryl to dig deep within herself and question her feelings regarding her father's death and the guilt she harbors over it. This causes Harry Mason to manifest into a living memory of sorts, waking up after crashing his car into a junkyard. Upon awakening, he naturally believes no time has passed and is alarmed to find his daughter Cheryl is missing, and sets out to find her.
Before Harry's death, Cheryl and her father had an extremely loving relationship, and cared for each other deeply. Camcorder footage shows Harry throwing Cheryl into the air, and she is always smiling. Unfortunately, Harry's and his wife Dahlia's relationship didn't last, and they eventually fell out of love and split up. Harry left, but he was killed shortly after in a car accident. Unable to cope with the loss, Cheryl resorted to watching the same camcorder footage over and over to the point of obsession, altering her perception of her father through nostalgia and fragmented memories.
As the counseling becomes more intense and Cheryl is forced to further examine her internal issues, Harry Mason gets closer and closer to his daughter, though the obstacles trying to block his progress grow more powerful. Eventually, Cheryl accepts Kaufmann's words, and decides it is time to face the truth. At that point, Harry walks through the door of Kaufmann's office, and she is able to say goodbye to him. Depending on the ending received, Harry will either simply tell her to forget him as he was in reality a lousy father, or that she can move on with her life as her memories of him as a loving, caring father were true. In a third option, Cheryl persists in believing her father was a hero, and embraces him as real, rejecting therapy and clinging to her false memories as all she has. Depending on the ending, Cheryl may leave the clinic with her mother Dahlia, or leave alone without her.
After the credits, Cheryl is seen in her room closing a box filled with her mementos, which is located right beside a photo of her father. After a brief moment, she hesitantly walks away.
- Cheryl's date of birth is July 17th, 1983. It is shown briefly when Harry discovers Cheryl's school records. 
- In the PS2 and PSP versions of Shattered Memories, Cheryl wears a necklace which isn't in the Wii version. 
- In the original game, in the Otherworld version of Midwich's storage room is a doll that resembles Cheryl as a child hanging on the wall.
- Like in the original game, Cheryl collects dead insects such as butterflies. The Pinned Beauty memento appears to be one of these.
- Throughout the game, subtle references to Cheryl can be found such as a heart in the forest's pump station with Cheryl written inside it (Harry: "Huh, coincidence?") and a poster found on the side of Midwich of a girl named Connie who greatly resembles Cheryl (Harry: "Looks like Cheryl...").
- In Toluca Mall, one of the possible messages of Problem Child reveals Cheryl is a smoker. ("Saw that dopey guard again. Let him see me smoking in the no-smoking zone. Too chickenshit to tell me to stop!"). In addition, Cheryl is seen smoking in her concept artwork. This may be an allusion to Heather Mason, who used to be a smoker, but quit.
|Harry Mason - Cheryl Mason - Dahlia Mason - Dr. Kaufmann - Cybil Bennett - Michelle Valdez|
|Bar Maid - The Stewarts - Mr. Gordon - Lisa Garland - John - James Sunderland - Mira - Greys|
|Raw Shock - Larval Stalker|
|Alchemilla Hospital - Annie's Bar - Diner 52 - Good Ol' Days - Green Lion Pawn Shop - Lakeside Amusement Park - Levin Street - Lighthouse Clinic - Midwich High School - The Balkan - Toluca Mall - Nightingale Apartments - Dog House|
|Echo Photos - Flare - Flashlight - Harry's Phone - Real World - Ice World - Memento - Phone Numbers - Psych Profile - Tookie the Toucan - Manifestation - UFO Ending - Sexuality|
|Keys - Puzzles - Secrets and Unlockables - Soundtrack|