Abstract Daddy, also known as Ideal Father, is a monster James Sunderland encounters in Silent Hill 2. It is a manifestation of Angela Orosco's traumatic memories of her father, Thomas Orosco, and her brother, raping and sexually abusing her on a bed.
The Abstract Daddy appears as two figures lying on a bed, covered in a "blanket" of putrid skin, with the two forms apparently having intercourse. The two figures seem to be trapped in a rectangular board, with the "male" or upper figure's arms and legs dangling out the bottom. On the bottom of the monster is a long vertical slit. It moves on all fours, and the lower portion of the beast has the appearance of a bed with four posts.
It is likely that Angela views the monster differently than James, and that she sees her own father, Thomas, as the monster, which is why she calls it "daddy". However, because James did not know Thomas, it takes the form of a monster.
Because these attacks require close contact with its prey, and due to the cramped conditions of the room, it's wise to run from end to end diagonally and fire at it with the shotgun once, then run to the other end. Doing so will result in little to no damage. The rifle can also be used and its power surpasses that of the shotgun, but firing it makes James stall longer, giving the beast the opportunity to attack and is therefore not recommended for novice players. Once the player inflicts enough damage upon the creature, it will fall and deflate, deceased.
The monsters in the Lakeview Hotel are different from the boss version. These move much faster, but are much easier to kill, taking only two shotgun blasts to knock down. They also do not attack unless provoked.
The Abstract Daddy represents Angela's father, Thomas Orosco, and/or brother, hanging over her on a bed. This is highly suggestive of the abuse she took from them.
It is also noted that the figure beneath screams in torment, which is likely another representation of Angela's abuse, while their "mouths" resemble a vaginal orifice, further implying sexual abuse.
The room the monster is fought in represents Angela's uterus. On the fleshy walls of the room are holes with pistons making thrusting motions, akin to a penis thrusting in and out of a vagina. These further evoke Angela's perspective of her rape: a mechanical, inescapable experience. It is possible every piston is symbolic of how many times she was molested (23).
Later in the game, smaller versions of the boss monster make an appearance at the Lakeview Hotel, which may be an indication/foreshadowing to the player that Angela may be in the hotel somewhere. The smaller variants may also be representative of Angela's brother, while the bigger and stronger boss model is "Thomas".
Another possible theory is that it represents abusive masculinity, in that James suffocated his wife, Mary Shepherd-Sunderland, while she was in bed. This may be why both Angela and James can see the monster, as they are both involved with the mentality at hand.
- Defeating Abstract Daddy in the Silent Hill HD Collection awards the trophy/achievement "Childhood Trauma".
- The Silent Hill 2 BradyGames strategy guide by Dan Birlew erroneously refers to Abstract Daddy as "Doorman". According to Birlew, the original name he was supplied with was "Angela Papa", but he felt this was inappropriate.
- ↑ "Silent Hill 2 creature commentary". Silent Hill 3 公式完全攻略ガイド/失われた記憶 サイレントヒル・クロニクル [Silent Hill 3 Official Strategy Guide / Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle] (in Japanese). NTT Publishing Co., Ltd. 2003-07-31. p. 49. ISBN 4-7571-8145-0.
- ↑ Masahiro, Ito (adsk4). “"Abstract Daddy" means Angela's father (or brother) who is hanging over her body on a "bed".” 16th February 2013. Tweet.
- ↑ Birler, Dan (President Evil). "While Konami documents refer to this creature as "Angela Papa", I thought it more appropriate and less of a spoiler to rename this creature type a Doorman in the OSG." GameFAQs