About Tarot is a book found in Silent Hill 3. Heather Mason is able to find it at the chapel's library, alongside another book, Silent Hill's Ancient Gods: A Study of Their Etymology and Evolution. As the name says, it is an explanatory text about tarot.
- "Tarot was based on the 22 Hebrew
- consonants and is said to represent
- the entire world.
- Each card, numbered 0 through 21,
- has a particular meaning.
- By reading these cards,
- fortunetellers predict the future.
- For example, the first card, 'The
- Magician', signifies creation, wisdom,
- beginnings, or destruction and fraud.
- The second card, 'The High Priestess',
- denotes intuition, harmony, faith, or
- dogmatism and arrogance.
- According to some texts, the
- Gardner deck had more than 22
- cards. (The Gardner deck does not
- exist today; it is mentioned only in
- the literature.)
- It is said that these extra cards were
- based on lost Hebrew vowels and
- denoted an otherworldly,
- transcendental existence: i.e., God."
This book about Tarot acts as the explanation for the Tarot Card Puzzle and explains the existence of the mysterious Eye of Night tarot card. In the Book of Lost Memories, the creators of the series also use this principle to assign each tarot card to a character or element of the series.
|Card Number||Name||Alternate Name||Symbolizes|
|0||The Fool||Heather Mason|
|II||The High Priestess||Claudia Wolf|
|III||The Empress||Alessa Gillespie|
|IV||The Emperor||Visual concept|
|V||The Hierophant||The Pope||Important items|
|VIII||Strength||Fortitude||The power of Silent Hill|
|IX||The Hermit||Sound effects|
|X||The Wheel of Fortune||Rebirth|
|XI||Justice||Letter from Silent Heaven|
|XII||The Hanged Man||Douglas Cartland|
|XIV||Temperance||Keys and doors|
|XVI||The Tower||The Order|
|XIX||The Sun||Extra category|
|XXI||The World||The Otherworld|
|XXII||The Eye of Night||The God|